thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a two hour butter crust wheat recipe that really does take just 2 hours and it's great! It's the only one I make anymore. It makes two loaves which is just perfect for us. One loaf usually gets eaten while it's still hot, but it's so quick to make I can do it weekly. It's from the cookbook grandma gave me.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree! It's very satisfying to make bread and I love the tactile sensation of kneading the dough. I let mine proof over and over, finding that the more often I let it proof, the better it becomes in the finished product and that it also lasts longer in the bag.

The batch made yesterday has such a fine texture that it seems to melt in the mouth. I had to do a couple of eggs over easy this morning~those ones that are warm and fresh out of the coop, ya know~and eat with the bread so I could sop up the yolks with the bread. Nothing finer. I wouldn't trade that meal for anything in a four star restaurant.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Steve! You're good!!
Thank you, I was getting ready to get the cookbook out.
You saved my fingers! I thought I remembered putting this recipe down on here somewhere....

Here you go @ninnymary !
This is from a thread a few years back:

Here you go Cane-

This is from a whole wheat cookbook that my grandma Nathalie gave me when I was 18.

QUICK 2-HOUR BUTTER CRUST BREAD

3 cups warm water
3 pkgs. yeast
1/3 cup honey
3 Tbsp. oil

6-61/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 cup powdered milk

Mix water, yeast, honey, and oil.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to first mixture.
(sift? I just stir the flour well before I measure)
[Also, you probably know to add flour gradually, stirring well between each addition, and only add enough to make it workable when you knead. More flour is added on the kneading board as you work it.]

Let stand in warm place for 15 minutes.

Knead well for 10 minutes.

Form into loaves and place into 2 well greased loaf pans.

(you can form them into rounds and put them on a baking sheet if you like)

Let rise in warm oven15 minutes (80-85 degrees)

*Remove bread from oven and heat to 350 degrees.

Replace bread in hot oven and bake 50-55 minutes. Brush top with butter.

*VERY IMPORTANT! Haha- learn from my experience. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use warm milk instead of water because I rarely have powdered milk on hand, and lots of times I use half whole wheat and half unbleached white.

ETA- I think that the amount of flour any bread recipe calls for is variable. It depends on the moisture content of the flour, the type of flour, stoneground, etc. So I just add flour until I get soft workable dough. It's better to add less, than more.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother used to have a sourdough starter that she made bread from at least once a week. It made more than she and Dad could eat, so she was always looking for someone to take a loaf of bread. They both loved that fresh, hot from the oven bread. Mom lived for fresh homemade bread.
Unfortunately, she became sick and just kept getting sicker. No amount of antibiotics could make her better. Finally an ear, nose and throat doc figured out that she had Candida all through her body: respiratory, digestive, everywhere. It nearly killed her.
But it also nearly killed her to have to stop making her bread, which was superfood for the candida.:ep

Latest posts