Fruit Press Missing Part I did it !!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCF0279.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed very interesting link, most where for wood drying out. Bleach was the only disinfectant listed. I don't know where or what press has been used for, so want to disinfect. Don't want to poison anymore friends LOL wondering about vinegar .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job NYboy! We'll have to start calling you the Tool Man now! lol
Here's another link you can look at for disinfecting wood. If it were me I would try to avoid bleach.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
no.

You will want to cure, season wood so the apple juice won't penetrate the wood. Once wood is used and allowed to dry, the dry wood will actually kill the bacteria.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vinegar sprayed on the wood will work as a disinfectant to kill over half of any germs/bacteria. Once that is dried, spraying with hydrogen peroxide will kill the remainder. Doesn't matter which you start with. I just wipe my counters in between spraying (or let dry).

Each one works to disinfect -- one as an acid and one as an alkaline. That takes care of what I have for normal household germs. They have to be used separately, since put together they are neutral and do nothing other than wet the wood.

I wouldn't even have thought to disinfect the wood since I would have had it well-sanded and smooth as a baby's bottom. What I would do is cover liberally with butcher block oil. That will prevent any foods from penetrating the wood. Seedcorn is right about the benefits of wooden cutting boards. Bacteria is killed.

Latest posts