Fruit Press Missing Part I did it !!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The black spots are more than likely a bit of rust from the metal. Apples are a bit acidic and that will react with the metal.

A little bit of iron won't hurt anyone. I'd clean the press, use the vinegar/H2O2 Technique to sanitize and give the press a try.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my wooden cutting boards, I use white vinegar straight from the jug and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing off. Like Red suggested, peroxide is also a good alternative. Once it breaks down, it is merely water and oxygen.

To seal the wood, if you want to do that, you can use something called "spoon oil". It is simply mineral oil and pure beeswax melted together in a double-boiler and rubbed into the wood with a cloth. This is also used on cutting boards, wooden spoons, etc. to polish the wood and keep it from getting too dry and cracked. Both ingredients are food-safe.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Guys going this weekend to a apple orchard, my parents used to take us to as kids. same family still owns it, I can't believe in this day and age a small family farm is still in operation. Any one know which apples make best cider?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed very interesting link, most where for wood drying out. Bleach was the only disinfectant listed. I don't know where or what press has been used for, so want to disinfect. Don't want to poison anymore friends LOL wondering about vinegar .
I have read that wood naturally disinfects i.e.. as in wooden cutting boards.

Latest posts