Fruits and Vegetables

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll reference the American Heart Association (LINK):

"Vegetables: 1 cup equivalent of vegetables is 1 cup raw vegetable or vegetable juice, 2 cups leafy salad greens.

Fruits: 1 cup equivalent is 1 cup fruit or ½ cup of fruit juice (orange juice, etc.) or 1/3 cup of a fruit juice blend."

Then, I will point out that the servings used are for raw vegetables and fruit. Cooking, we all learn that 2 cups of leafy greens will amount to a half cup, at most.

I used to try hard to have 3 servings of fruit before anything else, in the morning. That became difficult because of DW's increased tendency to cook hot cereal for breakfast. Anyway, I have no trouble having more than my 5 a Day of fruits and vegetables. It's probably more like 7 a Day.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't know... my diet varies quite a bit. recently we've been enjoying the melons so no shortage of fruit consumption. i normally eat a banana every morning, but with all the melons we've had i told Mom we sure don't need to buy bananas. today i had her pick up some bananas for the first time in a week or two. i like them with peanut butter and a small glass of milk. instant breakfast in a few moments and then i can get on with whatever else i was planning on doing or just autopilot for a while as i wake up. :)

during times when there isn't much fresh fruit available i like a few prunes here or there.

all year Mom makes salads quite often for her dinner and i'll sometimes have one but much smaller and not as many things in it. like i don't usually want cheese in my salad and i can put the carrots on the side which i would rather eat by themselves. no, i don't really know why but it might just be that i don't like the change in textures as i'm eating a bowl of salad and to be surprised by a chunk of carrotses. so i like them where i can see them and know what is coming. i guess... :)

tomatoes, a lot of tomatoes, and beans, of course. :) all forms of beans i like.

Latest posts