Future BBQ's

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was kind of mean. :hide Here I thought you where planning a BBQ for all of us to attend! LOL (I bet Mary would have real trouble eating chickens at your place.)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary trust me when I say they dont stay cute little chicks for long. In about 3 weeks they will go from cute little chicks to nasty little chickens that can not hold up their own weight.
After the 3 weeks of age mark, start to limit their feed to morning and night feedings to all they can eat within 30 minutes. Then you will not have the issues that a few people seem to experience. Just a simple management fix for proper animal husbandry that some just refuse to follow then bad- mouth the meat bird for their own mismanagement. :caf

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the 3 weeks of age mark, start to limit their feed to morning and night feedings to all they can eat within 30 minutes. Then you will not have the issues that a few people seem to experience. Just a simple management fix for proper animal husbandry that some just refuse to follow then bad- mouth the meat bird for their own mismanagement. :caf

I feed mine 12 hours during the day, 12 hours no feed overnight. It does help to restrict feed. They just don't know when to quit. I've had no problems with legs going out, except for possibly one per batch which probably was from some other cause or injury. In a tractor too, this forces them to eat some greens and bugs on pasture which really balances their diet and improves their flavor.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was kind of mean. :hide Here I thought you where planning a BBQ for all of us to attend! LOL (I bet Mary would have real trouble eating chickens at your place.)
Haha Carol! I think you're right! I would keep seeing those cute chicks. I guess I will just buy some at the store and bring it so Monty can barbeque it.

Mary

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Even if you restrict their diet to mornings and nights, they are just ugly looking birds. They grow faster than their feathers can keep up.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ours are only fed during the daylight hours. We didn't have any leg issues with the others we processed. And we're not really badmouthing the meat birds Bob. Just stating what everybody knows. They are ugly, nasty half feathered poop machines. I love the chubby lil critters!

Oh, and Dew gave me the go ahead to build a new coop! The laying hens will move into the new digs and the meaties can have the old shack.