Gah, mice chewed up my tree, can it be saved?? UPDATE, ROOT GROWTH!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup.
Rainbow shark, two opaline gourami and platy. Platy are wintering over, will be put into the koi pond in spring.
azazazaz.jpg

Don't have a good pic of my 40b. But this is my 110g.
DSC_0036_zpsc33071b0.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice rotala! And those angels are really nice too. How long have you had it set up? Nice lay out its going to look great once it fills in.

I always wanted a 110g. They are a unique shape and I think that gives way to some really cool aquascaping ideas. CO2 injection? I saw the powerhead thats what made me ask. I had to scale way back when we moved. I had a super high tech 55g and was in the process of planning out a 180g when we had to move. Both are long gone, and sold everything that went with them.

I set up a 2.5 gallon not that long ago. Its a really simple set up. Its a traditional rectangular 2.5, with an LED light, HOB filter and a small heater. Because of its size I'm trying to keep the plant list simple and not be pruning every few days. Its a bit weird to use C. wendtii and C. lutea as your background plants but it helps give me something to tinker with and like I said keep the pruning to a minimum. Its got those, a number of C. parva along the foreground and a small piece of petite A. nana I just got from a friend. I dose with Flourish and Excel and its growing good. .

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
110g is an extra tall, massive pain to grow and plant in. I'll get a new picture tomorrow, but the plants don't get much larger, it's too tall.
I do add a dry fert mix I got from AngelsPlus, but rarely use it. Do add rabbit pellets in the smaller tanks. There's no power head, my fish would be sooo pissed if I used the Marineland Maxi Jet 1200 I have. There's a Fluval XF5 on the left and a Sunsun on the right. Shop lights over this tank. There's two BN plecos, Stripped eel, Black Ghost Knife and 3 Angels.

40b I'll also get a picture of. Has two different brand high tech lights, pair of Betta, breeding group of green Cory, Oto cat, breeding RCS, pair of breeding BN plecos.

I sell the plants. I'm plant-crazy; tank, house and outdoor kinds, lol. I would love to have a custom 3x2x10ft tank. Also hoping to get Discus fish, but I'm paranoid about them dying, they are too pricy to test out.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How tall is the 110? I always like the look but never had one I've only seen them in pics on the net so I don't know how practical it is. Ahh the black screen threw me there, I figured it was hooked up to a powerhead.

Nice breeding groups. I had RCS and a malfunctioning heater did them in. Id like to do them again sometime. I like the new cubes they've come out with. The 3x3 cube is pretty slick. All that depth! LFS set one up and I was drooling over it. I don't have anywhere that I could practically set one up but it was very unique looking.

Discus would be fun but I didn't want to keep up on the water changes to keep them. Just dont have that kind of time right now. Buddy of mine has them breeding for him on a pretty regular basis. He got them locally from a breeder and he said thats made all the difference since it wasn't a major change for them since there was a strain that was doing fine in our water conditions. He had them from other places and they didn't do nearly as well.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right front is a Marineland heater.
Tank and stand is taller than me and I'm 5'6. 30 inches for the tank, I feel like I'm swimming when trying to reach decor in there or plant anything. I kind of just used a stick to hold plants in place and then dumped sand on top to get them to stay put...

Yep, I'm hoping to find ones that aren't crazy high maintenance, too. I like fish that adapt, not ones that need constant babying and hand holding. Water changing isn't too bad on the 110, the pipe center right is what I use to drain out the front door and then I just stick it into my kitchen faucet to refill.

40 is overgrown with hornwort, I just sold a bunch and have more to sell.
40overgrown.jpg

I want to plant the Rotala along the back, but I can't reach the sand. The Vals failed in this tank...
110gtall.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
They all already have the leaves unraveling.
budding.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahaha, I sure do. And, to top it, some aquatic plants are edible. :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you tried crypt spiralis I found it a lot tougher than Vals however the leaves are thinner. It might melt some like crypts tend to but when I kept it I had no issues in fact I had to thin it multiple times because it got so thick.

Hey Marshall if you ever get bored http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/ will keep you busy for hours.

Now I gotta get pics of my 2.5g. I had 2 C wendtii do a partial meltdown on me but they are coming back so give me a bit and Ill get them up.

Glad to see the cuttings are taking off for ya. Good job!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is an update!
ROOTS!
How should I move them into potted containers? Or should I leave them in longer for even bigger roots?
Looks like most of the roots are at the top of the water where there's more light. Should I trim the rest of the stem that has little to no roots and if so, how much of a nub under the roots should I leave?

Oh, those white bumps you see in this pic and the last is were roots will/have grown.

DSC_0453.jpg

Latest posts