Gah, mice chewed up my tree, can it be saved?? UPDATE, ROOT GROWTH!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping to sell all but maybe two of them at a swap this year for a couple dollars. If they do grow now that they are in soil and sell well, I'll root many more. At the very least, I can feed them to my critters if I end up with too many or they don't sell.

I moved the three other plant type branches into the fish tank, maybe that will help them grow roots. The water is much warmer and consistently warm.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Propagation economics!

Nothing increases in value like plants!

what else goes from 6 dollars one year to 17 dollars the next year?

what else multiplies so one year you have one daffodil for instance, and the next year you have 3 daffodils?
or one full size lily one year, the next you have 2 full sized lilies and 12 baby ones?

you see it too, don't you sec? it's a matter of procedures, systems going, and having a way to sell them. and they sell like candy!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping they sell like candy!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update on willows, all are growing with lots of leaves. Pics later today.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The willows? No where anytime soon. One is going where the original was on the hill, another needs to go near that weird sunken mini pond out in pasture. Found another two areas that floods out in pasture, so might put a tree in each spot.

iD82F53C3-FA90-4A19-A0FF-D58CB3920AD230B98BCF.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Willow update!
Six of them sold at a swap today! Going to pot up the last 4 and let them grow some before taking them back to another swap. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sec, you have the makings of owning a nursery!

Picture this one: Keep one of the willows and grow it nice and big n pretty for a year, then figure how little money you put into it compared to how much more it's worth after a year!

Then calculate how the same is true with a lot of plants. Sure, each kind has it's way to do it, but most plants aren't rocket science.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it'd be nice to make trees from stems of other trees, but the apple, pear and mulberry clearly need root hormone to get them to do anything in water. Gotta pick some up and see if it does anything for those sticks...

I need more willows to grow branches from! lol

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are ways to do these things Sec!

Another really great one involves not only getting an APPLE TREE ROOTSTOCK to root, but ya let it grow a season after it roots, then ya do some grafting. Now, calculate on having one good dwarf tree of each variety of apple, hopefully some varieties hardly anyone else has, and doing some grafts each year. Figuring things like apple trees getting grafted takes awhile longer than a willow or a poplar, and also takes your skill and work on the grafting, and ya see why apple trees should cost more than poplar or willow trees.

Learning to graft is DOABLE. Yep. Chickies Momma is right now in the process of doing her first grafts. Actually, first thing to do is decide, hey ya, I can do that. Second thing to do is to say, watch this, Im'a doing it!

Next thing ya know you'll be painting a sign that says:

Secuono's Swap Shop Nursery

Latest posts