Gah, mice chewed up my tree, can it be saved?? UPDATE, ROOT GROWTH!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Roots are definitely a great sign that the tree is still going strong. If it were me I would plant it in pot now with soil, it should produce bigger roots in there.
Let us know how the trees are doing! :)

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bagged several of them, trimmed off any branches that grew below where the roots sprouted, left 1in of stem below the last good roots on the bottoms and 1in of air space before any stems grew and dirt touched.

My house is over flowing with plants...lol. Kitchen is stuffed! Living room is full of pots.
I have a laundry room that is all windows on two sides, great hotroom in summer, but not insulated, so it's closed off from the rest of the house. We've been fixing it up and insulating it, for the dogs, and hopefully, I can use it as a grow room next year!
Green bucket has three branches each of Mulberry, apple and a mongolia. Box in front is full of bagged willow.

DSC_0458m.jpg

DSC_0459m.jpg

I bought these. $5 hydrangeas, soooo much better than the $25-50 ones at the nursery. I don't mind them being small. Also got another blueberry plant to help polinate the other plant we bought before.
DSC_0462m.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like how you do things Sec! Might wanna wait until most frosting is done before setting them outside. they've been fooled into thinking it's past frost now and might get buds opening and nipped...your photos aren't working for me so i can't see them...

Might want to lift those roots out of the water daily for a minute or so for air. Roots do need air. Careful with the buds not to hurt them. I believe you're doing great

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The leaves have opened up, bagged branches are by a window until it's warmer to have them in the sunroom/laundry room [[it's not insulated]].
I'm only leaving them in the water until there are enough roots to pot, but all got some air today.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I broke off three branches of one type of mangolia, the kind that looses it's leaves for winter, today, the buds are opening. But, there are no root buds developing yet, what should I do?
Can I break off all but the furthest along flowers [[3 flowers]] just to see them or would that still be too much wasted energy for the branches?

I also broke off three apple branches and 3 mulberry branches. The leaf buds on the apple have started to open a bit, don't see any root nubs. The mulberry, no growth on the branches, but I do see a couple root buds starting.

482572_542087399158106_1529453674_n.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
In general the best cuttings are taken without flower buds, but the deciduous magnolias are an unknown to me. we have them around down in towns, but i've never tried them.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update on the willows.
Bagged up the last 4, used gallon zip bags for the two biggest. I hate using zip bags for anything, they always leak, sooner or later. They'll be in the kitchen for about two days, then moved to the laundry room. I made room for some of the plants the other day and moved many of them over there so my kitchen has some walking space again.

Also, some of the bagged lilies have started to sprout up.

image.php

Latest posts