Garden fencing

HummingBird

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello fellow Gardeners! :frow
I have a small vegetable garden and I need ideas of how and what kind of fencing to put around my garden to keep the rabbits, :bun :bun (and whatever else might decide I did this garden for them) out! :he
If you can supply photos of your garden fencing, and any advice please, maybe I can save some of my vegies for me and my family!
Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can do many different things- depending on how much work, money and time you want to spend...If you do not care if it is "cute" the regular cheap "rabbit fence" found at Home Depot, etc. will do the trick. I have used it for two years now and have not had any critters bother with my garden. It is only 4 feet tall, so it does not keep out deer. Since, I am compelled to decorate everything, I used 4x4 posts from a porch and put a finale on top. I would love a picket fence, but this was cheap, easy to install and actually doesn't show that much. I didn't bother with a gate, I just hop over. I may change that, this year, so I can get the wheel barrow in. The ideas are endless, but all you really need is something with small holes, a few feet tall...Enjoy!

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ive used an energized fence set at different heights to keep out varmints. i set one level a few inches above the ground one level at about cat height and one at about dog height. just stretch the low sections real tight so they dont touch the ground. mine worked great. it also helps to have a couple of cats or red ticks around to keep the un wanted critters ran off. ;) you can try to put peanut butter on the fence to attract any thing that gets close and when they lean in for a taste they will not come back to try another sample.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Someone here has some GORGEOUS fencing down simply with the welded wire and 2x4s! I love it!!!

Oh yeah it was citychook!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25764

Here is her's where she posted it last month.

Here's mine, its nice... but it was a lucky find because the stuff is pricey AND it doesn't keep out rabbits!!! Its the black metal in the background.

tomato5.jpg

HummingBird

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
You can do many different things- depending on how much work, money and time you want to spend...If you do not care if it is "cute" the regular cheap "rabbit fence" found at Home Depot, etc. will do the trick. I have used it for two years now and have not had any critters bother with my garden. It is only 4 feet tall, so it does not keep out deer. Since, I am compelled to decorate everything, I used 4x4 posts from a porch and put a finale on top. I would love a picket fence, but this was cheap, easy to install and actually doesn't show that much. I didn't bother with a gate, I just hop over. I may change that, this year, so I can get the wheel barrow in. The ideas are endless, but all you really need is something with small holes, a few feet tall...Enjoy!
lesa, It doesn't have to be fancy just enough to keep critters out. I have used chicken wire in the past but I can't keep it tight at the top it always starts to lean in or out, We have very hard ground so I'm not sure if I can dig down far enough to put in 4X4s, but I do like that idea I will have to try it. Thanks!

HummingBird

Leafing Out
Reaction score
firemm3 said:
ive used an energized fence set at different heights to keep out varmints. i set one level a few inches above the ground one level at about cat height and one at about dog height. just stretch the low sections real tight so they dont touch the ground. mine worked great. it also helps to have a couple of cats or red ticks around to keep the un wanted critters ran off. ;) you can try to put peanut butter on the fence to attract any thing that gets close and when they lean in for a taste they will not come back to try another sample.
firemm3-I like the couple of cats idea! I am going to be getting a couple of Kittens so hopefully they will grow up to be good Critter chasers! I will have to look into the cost of energized fencing I'm kind of on a budget so can't spend to much. Thanks!

HummingBird

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Someone here has some GORGEOUS fencing down simply with the welded wire and 2x4s! I love it!!!

Oh yeah it was citychook!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25764

Here is her's where she posted it last month.

Here's mine, its nice... but it was a lucky find because the stuff is pricey AND it doesn't keep out rabbits!!! Its the black metal in the background.

http://www.foglskitchen.com/images/tomato5.jpg
vfem- I love your fence! I only wish I could aford something like that, but I'm on a budget so I have to go cheaper. Thanks!

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
if youre getting cats for varmint chasing, the more black they are the better chasers they are according to my ole granny and it works for us. energized fence can be very reasonable, a friend of mine got a 10 acre energizer for 25 bucks at the co-op. i use t posts wrapped with rubber for poles and insulators but you can get fiberglass poles pretty cheap plus they are easy to move around if needed. good luck

HummingBird

Leafing Out
Reaction score
firemm3 said:
if youre getting cats for varmint chasing, the more black they are the better chasers they are according to my ole granny and it works for us. energized fence can be very reasonable, a friend of mine got a 10 acre energizer for 25 bucks at the co-op. i use t posts wrapped with rubber for poles and insulators but you can get fiberglass poles pretty cheap plus they are easy to move around if needed. good luck
Thanks for that...I wasn't sure what kind of cats we were going to get I just knew I didn't want white cats they would be to much of a bulls eye I would think! We have a heavely wooded area behind our house and I know we have critters in there! I've seen all kinds back there.
wow that's very reasonable on the fencing, I'll have to look into that, I only need a small amount since I have a small garden, thanks for the info.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem, you are too kind. I will be sure to let the DH know that you like his work... And just so you know, I REALLY wanted a garden fence like yours, but my more conservative side (as in DH) said absolutely not.... :)

Here's the fence. It cost about $120 to build and it's 14x9. I didn't think that seemed unreasonable, and it's doing a bang up job at keeping the chickies out of my tomatoes.

I always thought picket fences were sweet around a vegetable garden. No idea how much they cost, but I wonder if you could get it salvage????

IMG_3541.jpg

ETA: edited to replace the photo after reorganizing on photobucket.... sigh.

Latest posts