Garden fencing

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
I've read that you have to bury your fencing to keep rabbits and other critters from digging under the fence...

my fence is just welded wire and metal garden stakes...we have cedar post to hold up the stockad type gates [we have 2] It is to keep dogs from romping on the veggies
Agreed with the quoted reply, one of my aunt also uses welded wire and it helps her alot.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first try at a veggi garden (years ago - lots of lovely weeds - no veggies to speak of....)
The fence is that picket looking stuff that comes in a roll from any hardware 'big box' store.
I don't remember what it cost but it couldn't have been much or I wouldn't have bought it .
Not sure if it will stop rabbits though... it just sits on top of the ground.
8721_garden_ready_to_plant.gif

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a big woodchuck problem.Bunnies cannot get in the garden -we still get an occasional woodchuck that tunnels under our buried fence. Ours is a fortress. An 18 inch trench was dug around the garden. We used heavy weight green coated fencing-6 foot. It was buried at least a foot down with a 1 inch green coated chicken wire lining the first 4 feet of fencing near the bottom. Between the two it keeps just about everything out. Huge work to be sure. The coated fencing lasts forever-we have older gardens 30 or more years old and it looks brand new.
One thing about fencing -it stinks to have to redo it.

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ahan, that's something nice though now even i would like to definitely try some of those fencing ideas you gave because I am also suffering with bunnies :x and I dont want them anymore in my garden.

lobopatrick

Sprout
Reaction score
Here's an excellent blog that talks about how to keep rabbits out of your garden : community.havahart.com/rabbits/rabbit-damage

weonlycut

Sprout
Reaction score
In a smaller garden -- 60' x 40'/18.3 x 12.2 m -- a 3'/.9 m-tall fence will keep deer at bay, since they don't like to jump into a confined area. Ordinary snow fencing works fine for this purpose. If your garden is larger, for a single fence to be effective, it needs to be 8'/2.4 m tall to prevent deer from jumping over it. Or consider installing two shorter fences, which actually are quite effective because deer find it difficult to jump both fences. Try a 4'/1.2 m-tall chicken-wire or wire mesh fence with a single strand of electric fencing located 2 1/2 '/.76 m off the ground and 3 feet (.9 m) outside the first fence.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As far as rabbits go, my sister in law and her husband use raptor decoys . She said they put in 4 T posts one in each corner of the garden and would move the decoy every day or every other day and they didn't have a fence at all.

He also would move it on top of any trellis, for beans, peas, etc anything within easy sight of the garden like it was perched there. He said the only downside was having to move it pretty regularly otherwise it was just a lawn ornament that the rabbits would take for granted.

I saw it his was just a perched hawk that stared out over the garden but that was enough to keep the bunnies at bay. His garden I think was 30x60 or something like that, but even with a smaller garden if you moved it so it would be easily noticed I think would work.

Just a thought and for 20 dollars plus shipping Id give it a try before I put down a few hundred dollars on fencing.

Latest posts