Garden fencing

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have our garden surrounded with chain-link fence (to keep the dog out) and wrapped with chickenwire (to keep the rabbits out). All of the fencing is staked into the ground, so the dog and bunnies can't get underneath. Well, that was the plan at least, my dog decided to pull the stakes out with his TEETH & dig a hole :rolleyes:

Anywho I have pics on my TEC page, good luck!

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, I found the cheapest way for me was to buy the landscape timbers and the single slates of fence and then I added chicken wire. I had the timbers cut in half at lowes. it works great to keep out the chickens and the dogs.

6415_may_misc_145.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would love to have a beautiful picket fence around my garden, but my garden is too big for this to be cost effective.

After unsuccessfully fencing my garden with a temporary fence composed of a short chicken wire topped with electric....I have concluded I need a permanent fence around my garden! :he

I'm trying to make this fence a little more than just a perimeter to keep out chickens, sheep, dogs and calves. I've put a lot of thought into the exact design, as this should last a while.

I'm thinking strong locust corner posts and gateposts, and T Post for the rest of the fence. 4 ft. woven wire elevated 2 inches off the ground so it can be trimmed around by the sheep~they are great for trimming around things.

I would like to keep my existing rectangular garden but round off the ends into a more oval shape. I would like to be able to have a continuous row around the entire perimeter of the fence and plant my tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and other vining plants all along the fence. The oval shape would be more conducive to tilling with the tiller.

This eliminates staking or trellising and should be kind of pretty. My mother asked about the animals getting any greenery that grows on the outside of the fence. Since the wire will be 2 in. x 3 in., they won't really be able to pull anything through. The sheep may trim off the top but this would be okay with me.....I don't grow tomatoes at the top of my vines anyway.

I would like to keep my maters trimmed back this year and see if this won't promote more growth of fruit instead of them being all lush vines.

Anyone else use this garden shape or their garden fencing for trellising their vines? :bee

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Anyone else use this garden shape or their garden fencing for trellising their vines?" bee

Beekissed .... I use a fence inside a fence for vines. My main problem is deer. They would get the vines growing through the fence or when they hit where they could reach over to get them, cutting down the production of the vine.

I install a temporary fence inside the garden so it can be removed for tilling. I used the green rolled garden fencing, green metal garden stakes (or other metal poles that can be easily hammered into the ground). Pole beans are on the inside of the fence, bush beans in the center to fill the extra space.

6517_picture_3817.jpg

6517_picture_4521.jpg

Fishing line strung around the perimeter has baffled the deer. :lol: .. probably won't work for your farm buddies... but just a thought on the double fence. You could then plant short crop around the outside fence.

ALL of my gardens have curved edges, just makes it easier to mow than all those corners ... I think I need sheep! :/

Sorry, this doesn't tackle the rabbit problem.......:idunno ... we have fox... and the neighbors barn cats ... they apparently enjoy rabbit.
I have not seen any in years and I do not miss them...:)

ETA: replaced photos that were removed because I exceeded my limit :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! :) I don't have to worry about deer and my sheep will probably trim off around the edges but may not pull much through the small spaces of that wire....I don't know.

No rabbits either, as my cat eats any and all bunnies and the dogs free range around the garden. Actually, the fence is more for livestock and the durn dogs, or rather, dog!

I have a dog who loooooooves to eat my tomatoes, potatoes, rhubarb, chives....and just about anything else he can get his mouth upon. :rolleyes:

When it is completed, I will post a pic and also a pic of the garden in full swing....it ought to look interesting! :p

aaron28

Sprout
Reaction score
I think I missed out on some really excellent photos here because it looks like they were deleted from photobucket. :( Does anybody have a link to the photos?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
aaron28 said:
I think I missed out on some really excellent photos here because it looks like they were deleted from photobucket. :( Does anybody have a link to the photos?
WELCOME to TEG, aaron28 !
Some of the photos have popped back in ... :)

CityChook - great looking fence, and charming garden... I love it! :thumbsup

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used green coated fencing. It is expensive, but the fence we put in 25 years ago still looks brand new. We bury it 12-18 inches deep to keep out woodchucks.
HummingBird said:
Hello fellow Gardeners! :frow
I have a small vegetable garden and I need ideas of how and what kind of fencing to put around my garden to keep the rabbits, :bun :bun (and whatever else might decide I did this garden for them) out! :he
If you can supply photos of your garden fencing, and any advice please, maybe I can save some of my vegies for me and my family!
Thanks!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've read that you have to bury your fencing to keep rabbits and other critters from digging under the fence...

my fence is just welded wire and metal garden stakes...we have cedar post to hold up the stockad type gates [we have 2] It is to keep dogs from romping on the veggies

Latest posts