Garden journal 2013...Chicken storm disaster, #74

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great photographs, Journey! All of them eye catchers!

I enjoyed trying KB tomatoes for a couple of seasons. One or 2 will show up about a week before the first frost and then I'll just have a bunch green. I am hoping that Earl of Edgecombe is more "time conscious" and have given it a 2nd year to see. Looking at your other post on fried green BLT's - even the KB's delayed performance might be good.

About those beans - I am curious why it is that some plants can do a "2 to 1" by comparison. I have Soldier dry beans once again and will go out and get a big bucket full (or several buckets full) today. They were super productive when I grew them years ago and proven themselves that way against Jacob's Cattle again.

Well, I mostly wanted to compliment you on the pictures :).

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I proclaim you the absolute "gardening winner" this season!! Anyone who can do all that you do- is clearly superwoman! I can see why you are longing for winter... All your veggies look absolutely perfect! Congratulations on a job well done!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I didn't show you my weeds! LOL I think I am going to scale back a little next year. I took on too much this year and really struggled to keep up with it.

Steve, that just might work out really nicely with those green KB's. They will cover a slice of bread and even hang over a bit. ;) I'm going to tractor my meat birds on the main garden plot for fall so I'm going to be prompt about clearing it off this year and not wait for those last few tomatoes to ripen. More fried green BLTs for sure. :bun :D

ETA: And we didn't get the layer's coop completed today. Still have a couple more hours of work to do on it. My DH was really bummed out. He really wanted it done (and over with, ha.) It's going to be nice though. We said they better lay caviar, for all the time and money we put into it. :p

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great pics Journey! I can't wait to see the new coop! I still haven't finished remodeling ours. It's on the list, but never seems to make it to the number one spot :/ I have more free time now that the garden is nearly done. I have to get it done before the snow flies though. I also want to get a roof over part of the run for them. Your Bell peppers look fantastic! I only planted reds, but didn't more than a few. I always have trouble with peppers in the southern half of the garden, don't know why. I'm sending a separate soil sample in this fall just for that area. Maybe that will shed some light on the problem. Strangly, my poblanos kicked in very late and are covered with peppers, but I don't know if they will have time to ripen into ancho.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Monty. I know what you mean about some of those projects getting pushed back. I've been stewing on this coop project for about 8 months now! But at least that gave me time to work out some of the particulars of the design in my head and on paper. We started the frame back in the spring and it sat in our garage taking up space all summer, so you can understand why my DH wants to be done with it. :rolleyes:

I never had any luck with bell peppers until a few years ago my FIL told me to add epsom salts. He also told me to take a book of matches and cut the heads off into each planting hole for extra sulfur. I've never done that, but probably should at least give it a try. He sure was a green thumb and knew his stuff! I wish he was still living because I think of things I'd like to ask him about from time to time.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It is good for peppers, in moderation. I use it myself. You wouldn't need to add additional sulfur in the form of match heads because the Epsom Salt already contains sulfur.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey everything looks wonderful! You've done very well this year, especially considering that you're homeschooling and have Superbaby to chase! That Passion flower is especially beautiful! Are they hardy there for you?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Thistle! :frow No, unfortunately I have to dig this particular passionvine up. The regular purple ones are hardy here (and invasive), but for some reason this red one is more tender. The seed pods are supposed to be infertile, but I found a sprout that came up nearby the mother plant, maybe off the root. My MIL killed hers...proving them not hardy (which it said on the box :p ). I will give it to her and hope it comes back red too.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nicely done and great photos by the way. I'm curious to see the new coop. I'm impressed you can get CX this late and still get them up to size in time. How many have you done total this year?

Latest posts