Garden journal 2013...Chicken storm disaster, #74

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The coop is almost done. As with most things, it took longer than we thought. :p All we have left now is a couple little access doors, finish the peak of the roof, paint/stain/trim and we are still duking it out over how we are going to do the wheels. I took progress pics all along the way, but haven't had time to post them, but I think I'll do a blog post on it when it's all done.

This thing turned out A LOT heavier than we thought it would. We had to go with pneumatic tires and we found a neat lever action thingie online to build to engage the wheels. I think it will skid along with just 2 in the front, but DH wants to put the two wheels in the back instead and put something like a trailer hitch wheel (the kind you turn the crank to engage it and lift the trailer (coop) up). I just hate to put any more money into it. We've joked that after all the time and work and money we put into it, they better lay caviar! :rolleyes:

So the coop has to be done by Saturday, because that's when the meaties will go out in the tractor. They will be 3 weeks old and they are already getting stinky and beastly. So far, this has been the healthiest batch of meaties I've ever bought! Normally I will lose one or two on or shortly after shipment. And lose one or two more or have leg problems by 2 weeks old. These are all 100% healthy at this point and I still have all 31.

I have always gotten them on the first week of April in the past, but held off this year because I knew I couldn't manage it at that time this year with the baby, school, garden, so much going on. I am thinking that this is the most perfect timing for doing a batch of CX. The weather was warm when they arrived, when they most needed it to be warm. The garden is just about done, so I'll start clearing it off and they will be tractored on the garden instead of pooping up the back yard. They will probably appreciate the cooler days of Autumn since the heat is so hard on them. Less flies to deal with at butchering time. And I'll have less going on when it comes time to butcher (Oct. 12th and 29th). Bow season will be going on, but if DH does get time to go out and bag a deer, I'll already be in butchering mode. :cool: Our first frost usually comes mid- to late October. I think the timing will work out just right.

I talked to the folks who do pastured CX for market around here and she advised me on what they feed theirs and I can buy their custom feed blend in bulk from the same feed n' seed where they get it and get it cheaper than what I had been previously paying too. I'll be excited to see how the numbers come out this year. (Although, technically, I'll be in the hole from the cost of the layer's new coop...ha.)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I'll be excited to see how the numbers come out this year. (Although, technically, I'll be in the hole from the cost of the layer's new coop...ha.)
From a farm point of view, the coop is depreciable over a period of years so your first egg really isn't $300. My son built a chicken tractor for his MIL. He tried to do it more cheaply but still ended up with four pneumatic tires and a hitch for her tractor or she'd never have been able to move it at all. That was a small coup for 12 layers or less.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like mine, Lynn. Those little coops for up to 4 hens do well on two wheels and can be lifted by handles at one end. But I've got 9 hens to house and with an 8' x 4' (base) A-frame, I'm calculating that it would provide enough roost space. I've learned over the years that I really don't need quite so many hens (too many eggs to deal with) so long as I can keep the few I have alive and safe from predators. I keep reminding DH that it doesn't have to be fast, I just need to be able to drag it over 8' at a time to new grass. :D You're right about the depreciation factor though. Too bad I can't write if off on my taxes!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm really curious about this fall CX batch. I love the idea of tractoring them over the garden vs out in the yard why let all those nutrients go to waste on the grass? Now you've got my wheels turning ;)

How are you moving the coop? What about something simple like a piece of aluminum be it square tubing or even pipe, pound a piece of it flat and bend it up and attach that to the coop. The other end you flatten out and put a hole in so you can drop a pin into. Line up your 4 wheeler or lawn tractor and the pin goes in where its designed for the ball attachment for little trailers. Instead a ball I'd just a simple pin system and your "attached". Pull the coop that way. Once its moved, remove the pin at the 4 wheeler/tractor end unhitching it, and drive the 4 wheeler/tractor back to where it belongs. Your only moving 8ft at a time and its not a hay wagon.

Just a thought I had while I read your post.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey... If you have already filed your tax return, you could amend it and depreciate the structure. That is IF you are in the poultry business for PROFIT. Otherwise it is a hobby and you can't depreciate it or any other expenses. Jarred ... How would one prevent a chicken from not escaping through the void between the bottom of the coop / tractor and the garden rows? Not to mention any hungry predator entering through the same voids / holes and having lunch.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, my DH went out and bought a trailer jack/wheel thingie (not sure what they're called) and feels that should do the trick. Someone at Tractor Supply suggested pulling it with a 4-wheeler, but we don't have one and I'd hate to risk blowing up the riding lawn mower. Manpower...a little heave/ho will be our means of moving it. The wheels should do a lot to reduce resistance. My meat bird tractor doesn't have wheels...just the frame in contact with the ground, but I rounded the edges of the leading 2x4's to prevent digging into the ground. That drags around pretty easily. It is not nearly as heavy as the layer's coop though.

Bob, I'm not working them for profit, just for my family's freezer. I did sell eggs for profit a while back, so if I do again, this would count. (Although I'm not planning to.) I am only required to make $500 a year profit on parcels under 5 acres here to qualify for the farm exemption. I am thinking about a way to combine potential income from my bees, chickens and garden to meet that $500 threshold. That would all be in the future though. I am way too busy with the Superbaby to get involved in that right now. :p

ETA: I mentioned this elsewhere, but on the question about any gaps below the tractor, my meat bird tractor sits flush with the ground. (See pics here. ) My layer coop/tractor will too, with wheels that raise it a few inches when engaged and lower it flush with the ground when not. I don't have big furrows in my garden, but that is just because of the way I till.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first batch of apple butter of the season is in the canner as we speak! I picked a few apples off of the tree out at my dad's farm and it simmered down to 4 & 1/2 pints. I used my new food strainer (like a Squeezo, but cheaper brand) and I am in LOVE with that thing. :love How on earth did I ever live without it? It made such quick work for me, especially because those apples were so little. I wouldn't have gotten much out of them if I tried to peel them. But they were spotless, pretty apples, so I am so glad I could make use of them. They never did get sprayed, just came out nice on their own. I'm going to have to run back out there and see if I can get some more apples from that tree.

I used my pressure canner instead of the water bath canner because I couldn't see the sense in hooking up a propane tank and waiting to get all that water to boil for only 4 & 1/2 pints. I really need to get a turkey fryer base for my water bath canning. The Coleman camp stove works, but it's inefficient. I followed some directions another seasoned canner gave me...only pressuring up to 5 lbs, then taking it right off. My canner is over 50 years old, so it can't convert to a water bather like the newer ones do. The lead sink is too difficult to take out and I don't want to risk messing up my dial guage. Wish me luck. I should know if it worked here in about 25 minutes. I really hope they didn't bubble out. I took great care to work all the air bubbles out of the jar (and not boil hard, putting them in there in the first place.)

I'll be making a trip up to Jackson, OH here soon to buy a couple of bushels of apples. We need all the apple butter we can get, and I want to put up lots of pie filling this year too, and apple sauce for the baby. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So how did it turn out Journey? I have never made apple butter, but I have some trees that have grown out from the rootstock ( graft died) and have a lot of tart apples on them. Would tart apples work do you think?

What's your recipe too btw?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy Journey! I can fairly smell your kitchen from here! Wish I could be there just to smell it! Course, I'd be kicked outa the kitchen...I always get kicked out of kitchens! :p

...ever since I was a kid...had to sneak in the kitchen to make my mad scientist experiments! Lol!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love apple sauce and apple butter!

I just got our turkey fryer from Walmart it was marked down since they are trying to close up the outdoor section of the store. Wouldn't hurt to look around next time you go. Once you can on it you won't believe how great it is.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts