Garden Photos, Everyone Post Some

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Love the foggy morning! Ridgeback those gardens looks fabulous! Thank goodness for soaker hoses this year! Did you have those gardens covered, earlier in the season?
Hi Lesa,

Yes the peppers and tomatoes were covered with burlap when the plants went in to protect them from wind. Later as the weather quickly shot into the 100's I put shade fabric over some of the tomatoes to protect from sun burn.

I have three tomato plants that have never been covered and they have more fruit on them than the protected ones. I think I should uncover the others but am hesitant because there is no end in sight with the hot dry weather, but I think it's worth the risk. At least they are very healthy plants and that is better than what happened last year.

As far as things being neat and orderly I am begining to see that picking the cucumbers and squash is going to require the grace of a ballerina to get into those overgrown plants. I'm 6'5" and weigh something north of 230lbs, wish me luck! LOL :lol:

diggerthechickenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2/3/13 garden turned over and ready to start the 2013 season. I think I am going to try to plant some peas and lettice this week just to see how it goes. I know it's early, but I am tired of waiting and being in alabama I think I could have a garden year round. There are no winters like I'm used to in Pennsylvania.:cool:

9126_imag0041.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, digger! Nice start. That looks like it will be a wonderful garden...Have you used that spot before? I see no reason you can't do some planting of cool weather crops. Now, is probably your best time for them. Very, very jealous up here in NY! Enjoy!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes very nice. I think I am going to have to wait for the 6 inches of snow to melt before I get too serious about planting. I am going to get some stuff started to put in some hoop houses next month. I like to see someone is able to get some dirt under their nails. I get to live vicarously.

diggerthechickenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2/6/13 planted , various kinds of lettace, peas, broccoli, carrots, collard's , onions, and red and green cabbage, ( the chickens love the red cabbage) . now comon good friday and the rest is going in the ground. im anxious to see what actually grows it is kinda early i'm told . :cool:

9126_imag0070.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
JimWWhite said:
PeteyFoozer, what are those large metal containers? Or better yet, what were they before they became planter boxes?
Peteys not online right now Jim, but I don't think she'll mind if I answer for her :) .
Those are livestock water tanks. Sometimes you can pick them up for cheap if the bottoms have begun to leak. Pretty neat looking aren't they?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to know others have started in my zone. I tilled, and I started some radish, kale, carrots and cauliflower last week. I pruned roses and fruit trees now too. As soon as I seed sprouts, I'll plant another round of each of those veggies, and I should have pak choy and more carrots arriving soon for another plantings, along with 2 new types of lettuce I'm dying to try. :D