Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anybody got new plans for the new garden season? Tell all about it! Would be interesting to see, at the end of the season, how your garden plans all worked out, did you accomplish what you had planned, did it all go awry and why, and if they are worthy of repeating in following seasons.
100_4793.jpg

I've got all kinds of changes I want to incorporate this year but I'll have to put those here later as I've got to get ready and make a town run.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I will free up my tiny pepper bed and plant potatoes. I've only planted them in buckets and they've done fine but I want more, greedy me. :D Peppers are a pain anyway since we don't have the type of heat they love, so I'm going to plant them in the containers where I usually plant potatoes. The containers are black so who knows, maybe they'll do better there.

I read an article where you just bury them and pile about 18 inches of straw over them. Sounds easier than hilling. Wish me luck! :)

Mary

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This year I am planting
Cabbage (red and normal) , parsnips, carrots, swede, corn, spinach, beetroot, French beans, broad beans, melon, peppers, peas, tomatoes, cauliflower, strawberries and lettuce.
This year I am hoping the carrots and parsnips,
Grow straight and not fork like the always do :D

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That bucket of tomatoes sure looks nice. Having something different, in abundance, what you want ... such wonderful reasons to have a garden!

My plans are much more complex and cannot be concrete - ever.

I really have to take these things one step at a time and hope that they work out. Without using property belonging to others, I'm limited to about a 200 sqft greenhouse and about a 300 sqft of garden beds. Growing things in the greenhouse through the summer is very difficult. Maybe it wouldn't even make sense for me to have tomato plants or sweet corn or winter squash or a lot of things that I enjoy.

Gardening restricted to this lot hasn't been required in the 20+ years we have lived here. But, assuming I can show upon others' property had better come right down to the moment I set foot on the ground even if I've been there many times before and the invitation was extended the last time I was there. I even have that feeling while I'm there. Tenants have changed in the past. Owners have passed away. Irrigation systems have been down and difficult to set up. Other uses have been required for the ground -- this year, a new road will cross what was once part of one garden. There's much more ground out there that's been offered but do I want it? Do I want to scheme out how that essential irrigation will work? Do I want any of the hassles associated with other use for the ground that's going on around the gardens? Oh wait! That's for me to decide not the property owners ;).

Mindful: How often misused words generate misleading thoughts. ~ Herbert Spencer. After all, it wasn't really "build it and they will come." It was "Build it, and he will come." And, it was Shoeless Joe Jackson being referred to :).

I just have to take things one at a time and hope the welcome is still there and my opportunity to benefit can still be realized. It's one of the wonderful things about seeds. Generally, they hold their promise even if a season passes without them being planted. Garden plants have value to others, which is a good thing because they are a little expensive as compost material. Still, I must always have had to do that when I've run out of space or need.

I'll try to update TEG on every step I take in 2017. I've already some ideas on tomato varieties I'd like to have seed for :D.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It all depends on how motivated I am, how much energy I have. I need to seriously think about trying to raise the level of the planting beds in the garden. Just hill up the rows? Would that be sufficient? Make them about 6" higher than the paths?
Don't know if I am going to have any (spousal) help this year. He wanted ground to plant a couple things, then didn't plant, so more weeds for me to pull. But he did pull and hoe late in the summer, when I was very discouraged by all the vegetables that weren't there.
I'm just not going to worry about it right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Scarlett

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My plans are real simple. Don't do anything like I did last year.

:gig That's pretty much my plans too! There are several things I'm NOT planting, I'm changing where I plant everything else and how I plant them, and even changing WHEN I'm planting things, not to mention how I'm going to do seedlings this year. Also changing how I'm managing pests this year...last year I did exactly bagel on pests, just watched them take over, mostly.

I'm even getting different tools than I have been using, something more suited to the type of gardening I'm currently doing.

I'll get into more detail on those changes later. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your right Nyboy. My space is so limited and the basic stuff seems to do well. I'm happy with that. Don't need any fancy zucchini. :p So I just stick with the starts that I find at the nursery.

Ok, I'm still looking for that elusive zucchini with no spines and open bush habit. ;)

Mary