ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice!
I recieved some blueberry plants and my seed potatoes the other day,
I also bought another rhubarb plant (timperly early) and I hope,
To buy 3 more rhubarb plants (red champange)
My radish, cauliflower, cabbage, broad beans and peas are all beginning to germinate!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got 3 more seed packets today...and that should complete my seed needs for this coming garden season. Got a seedling tray also.

Can't wait to see how this season goes!

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking my landlord is getting ready to try and sell this place since all the sudden he has decide to start fixing things like the electric problems, plumbing and the rotting fascia on the outside. I worry about putting the work and money into beds and have to move. I told DH to start looking for another place. Hopefully nearby but he thinks since we are moving anyway why not move to NW Arkansas which is far from where we live now. I just want to build some raised beds for a few tomatoes, peppers, salad greens, squash, okra, etc., etc., lol.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking my landlord is getting ready to try and sell this place since all the sudden he has decide to start fixing things like the electric problems, plumbing and the rotting fascia on the outside. I worry about putting the work and money into beds and have to move. I told DH to start looking for another place. Hopefully nearby but he thinks since we are moving anyway why not move to NW Arkansas which is far from where we live now. I just want to build some raised beds for a few tomatoes, peppers, salad greens, squash, okra, etc., etc., lol.
You may have to resort to planting in plastic tubs. Not the best, but at least you can take them with you.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday was so warm I stayed home and worked on my hot bed. It was also pretty dry so I started digging below ground level. If you remember this is a spot that has been a 3' x 6' raised bed, with most of the dirt is filler and above ground. I only got 3" deep below ground on one side and 6" deep on the other, so I guess that the average is ~ 4inches deep. I still have 20 more inches to dig!! :th
No worries. I've done it before. I'll just take a wheelbarrow later today and move some more.
I pulled out my up to 1,000 pounds tow wagon behind the riding mower, spot cleaned the stalls (emptied to tow wagon)
http://www.countryatv.com/assets/img/20fthdatv2.jpg
then dug my bed. Happily I drive out to the North Pasture to dump in the big burn spot from my Salsa Party last October and I can't get the combination lock on the fence to open. Frozen 1/2 open, Won't let me push in to try again. I had to walk back to the house for my spray can of white lithium grease. That worked. Then I prop the gate open and start up the mower to drive. Suddenly it feels like I'm dragging a truck. The latch that keeps my tow wagon upright had slipped. Here I am trying to pick up and back--it only has like 50 cu ft of dirt in it--no success. So...I have to walk back and push my 20 cu ft two -wheeled wheelbarrow
http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/amesco10cuftwheelbarrowbp10.aspx
and shovel out to empty enough to get it upright again. I go to dump it and I have to lock the gate again and also push my full and heavy wheelbarrow back to the barn. FORTUNATELY I could make lemonade out of this because I need enough DRY garden dirt to make about 8 inches deep (x 3' x 6') in the bed. I have put the dry and very loose dirt in a whiskey barrel planter (which has a planting plastic liner),
https://www.etsy.com/listing/264447...aab967d06652&gclid=CNuR_vrB_tECFVM1aQodb7cABw
two old and broken muck buckets (lined with plastic garbage bags),
http://www.sstack.com/water-buckets..._intid=12319&gclid=COKdn5fC_tECFY61wAod7tILWQ
and a ripped up rubber waterer.
like this:
http://www.sstack.com/water-buckets..._intid=12319&gclid=COKdn5fC_tECFY61wAod7tILWQ
but 6x larger.
Showing my Amish side, YET again.
"Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do
or Do without."

Starting seeds for my hot bed toNIGHT!!! I have an indoor, 4 rack greenhouse with a plastic zippered cover to hold in heat and humidity and it's going upstairs tonight. I already have planters and I will be starting:
lettuce (Italian blend)
spanish onions
spinach
I will direct seed:
carrots
radishes
DD is charging up my camera's battery, so pictures soon!
I really noticed that the composted dirt from several years has leached through to the dirt below because it isn't the clay that I originally dug into to create this bed.

Latest posts