Gardening magazine?

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was just wondering where other people got their start. Everyone had to start somewhere. I used to just put something in the ground and hoped for the best.
I tend to stick to perennials. I hate to spend money on something that may just last through part of the summer. Being in Western NY, our growing season isn't exactly very long.
I guess I've gotten to the point in gardening where I should know the names of plants, things I like and know what things I should never plant. Like the Yarrow type plant that was included in a jar of wildflower seeds I threw in my garden 5 years ago. I'm still pulling it out in clumps. Now it spilled out of my garden into the yard. Even traveled about 20 feet next to the garage. And the cute little rose branch that decided to send out sucker roots and take over the entire garden. Never mid the fact that its branches were like tentacles that crawled all over before hand. I apologized to it when DH tore it out a few weeks ago.
All of the information that everyone has provided has been very helpful. I might hit the book store this weekend and see what sort of magazines they carry and then go the library and see what they have in their stock.

I am new to this forum (I came from BYC) and it is really interesting to see what people are growing in other parts of the country, and in other countries. Pictures of peoples gardens really help in planning my own plantings.

Thank you all again for your help!!!

Julie

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Julie. :)

I agree with you. Perennials are the way to go.

A word of advice about wildflower mixes -- most have been tested and found to contain weed seeds. A better way to go would be to find out which wildflowers you like and start those from seed. It is a little more effort, but I think the results would be more to your liking. Note: I too started out on the wildflower mix route.

Besides growing up in a gardening family, I got my start when we bought our first house. I started by researching on the internet for plants that would attract hummingbirds, because that was my primary interest at the time. I find the internet to be a great source of information.

My own approach to gardening is to decide on what I would like a plant to do -- flower in the shade, attract pollinators, tolerate drought, etc. Then I search for plants that do well in my region and also perform the task I'd like. I find the plants that apply to my situation and then I look for them in nurseries. With on-line searching, scientific names are easily found and once found, you will get better results searching under the scientific name.

If I were you, I'd try to look for resources specific to your region first, because growing conditions can vary widely. What is the point of falling in love with a plant that will never perform well in your garden? OK, that is my perspective anyway.

Happy Gardening!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's so funny when people obviously agree with each other, but think that they are not being fully understood by the other people. Who cares? We all agree that magazines and books can be useful sources of information. Gosh, let's talk chickens and have fun!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
It's so funny when people obviously agree with each other, but think that they are not being fully understood by the other people. Who cares? We all agree that magazines and books can be useful sources of information. Gosh, let's talk chickens and have fun!
Here! Here!

I think you mean, let's talk plants? Or gardens though? Chickens are for the other forum. haha.

Then again we did just finish the coop.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But if we aren't mincing words, what do we have to keep us entertained in this life???? JMO :)

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
I think you mean, let's talk plants? Or gardens though? Chickens are for the other forum. haha.
I did mean chickens, but I think I'm just gardened-out. Mad that my carrots won't germinate and that I am at the office instead of being home, enjoying watching the tomatos grow (and the carrots not germinate).

Edited to sound not so cranky.

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Buff,
Just checked out your website. Beautiful plants, chickies and house. I assume they are Buff Orpingtons. They are so pretty. I think I was with my friend when she bought a sage plant like yours. Coolest looking thing. She's a plant freak. She loves her Coleus. I think she has them all :lol:

Julie

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
I did mean chickens, but I think I'm just gardened-out. Mad that my carrots won't germinate and that I am at the office instead of being home, enjoying watching the tomatos grow (and the carrots not germinate).
Still no carrots, huh?

That's okay. It's probably too hot now to let them grow. Just keep thinking about a fall crop.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Since half of the original question was where to find a source of "information," I think it is valid to suggest that a book might be a superior source of information.
Yes, but the question originally involved magazines. Now I'm done mincing words and am off to pot plants for the front patio! :watering

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau, for being a Moderator, you sure are feisty. You better re-anchor your appointed halo.

Just fun meant, have a great weekend - and good weather.
Buff

Latest posts