Gardening Mistakes

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not being vigilant about groundhog access to the garden.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Not killing every squirrel in a 20 mile radius before planting.
:barnie Ditto. Not only do I no longer have a veggie garden, I also don't have a back lawn.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think my biggest mistake was not trellising the cukes and 'maters when they were small. It seems they got too big overnight! I am just letting them sprawl for this year. My second worst mistake was not being on top of succession planting. I could have had a second crop of beans going already.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
THE PEAS will be done better next year.

1. Something sturdy to climb on even thought they are called "bush." Flopping sure is hard on the back come picking time.

2. Sart them here in PA by St. Patrick's Day and succession plant every month. For at least two, maybe three plantings. They are ever bearing to some extent, so that should be often enough.

3. No mulch till the ground warms up. Hoeing is, I think, the easiest way to control weeds.

4. HEAVY mulch when the soil warms. They have very shallow root systems and the pods stay more succulant and grow bigger if the roots are cool.

Even though I did none of those things. I get a couple of gallons of peas this year. Definitely worth the effort.

Debby

Latest posts