garlic recommendations

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am ordering garlic for the fall, can anyone recommend a favorite. I have one variety in my garden, softneck.
Do people have any preference for a particular type? I use it in cooking but especially for roasted garlic spread.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mainly garlic is classified in 2 types, hardneck which send up a main stalk that flowers (referred to as a scape that is great for cooking) and softneck that produce more bulb underneath. Hardneck varieties usually have a wider variety of colors and flavors and softnecks produce more and are typically easier to grow. Softnecks typically store for a longer period of time if processed correctly.

Rocambole, hardneck garlic varieties that are known for their great flavor and are used in a wide variety of gourmet applications.

Artichoke, softneck garlic varieties that are the ones you find in the store. Very easy to grow.

Music Pink Rocambole is a variety that we grow which is great for roasting and has a true garlic flavor. I would highly recommend this one.

Chilean Silver is a great Silverskin variety (longer keepers that enhance flavor over time) that keeps very well. It has a great flavor and produces a nice big harvest.

I would recommend going to a local gourmet shop (if possible) and taste some varieties to see which one you enjoy more. If that's not possible I'm sure there are some great varieties you could find online. Try a garlic supplier that processes garlic and look at their different varieties and flavor descriptions. Then see what works for you as far as growing conditions.

Good luck

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, its so funny that you mentioned those varieties because I was on the Seeds Of Change Website a few minutes ago and bookmarked the Music Pink and was debating between the Chilean Silver and one other one.
So I am obviously on the right track. I really liked the sound of the pink before you even said anything and now that you recommend it I am definitely going to get it.
I will try the Chilean as well, it was a toss up between that and another.
Thanks again.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another place which has garlic of many types, is Territorial. Even if you'd just like to read about varieties. Perhaps your local nursery has their catalog?

Have fun, I love growing garlic. :)

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Territorial Seed Company out of Oregon just came out with their 2008 Winter Catalog. I highly recommend it if you want to extend your growing season later into fall / winter with protection. (www.territorialseed.com)

One garlic I recommend is Chrysalis Purple.

For me (in Zone 7 coastal Massachusetts), 'Music', 'Chinese Pink' and 'Susanville' were not impressive.

For shallots, I highly recommend 'Sante'.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Natalie, for us the hardnecks are the way to go. Johnny's has a good selection that does well here in the frozen north. I've always done well wit the German Extra Hardy. For the past few seasons I've been buying my garlic at the Common Ground Fair from some of the local growers up there, I've got five different types out there this summer, I'm waiting to see which ones do the best.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the following means:

"Cloves per pound: 45-65. Cloves per head: 9-11."

I understand the cloves per head part - that each head of garlic contains 9 - 11 cloves. With that, does it mean that when you purchase a pound of garlic seed that you're getting the equivalent of 5 - 6 heads of garlic? If so, wow, that's expensive! Now, I realize that they're probably only sending you the biggest cloves for planting purposes, but since I'm used to buying a head of garlic for 20 - 30 cents a piece, it takes a brain shift to wrap my head around that one! :eek:

But, barring failure in the garden, one could expect 45 - 65 heads of garlic per pound, which provides a nice number of heads to enjoy + start over with, right?

Did I understand that correctly?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, you understood it correctly.

It is rather on the brutal side, but as you say, the return is large, and you don't buy it again. :)

Latest posts