gas prices ++ didn't take long

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a commuting gardener who spends too much driving to & from distant gardens, I try to offset the expenses by selling surplus produce at a farmers' market. It works fairly well, except in 2007 when it seemed like the oil companies were going to keep half the $. The gas prices were SO HIGH that summer!

Well, they were just as high in 2012. Then, the price dropped. About a week ago they were below $3 around here . . ! I kind of resented that it was costing me so much in August and prices are so low in mid-winter.

Missed my chance, by the time the pickup needed gas, I paid $3.15/gallon.

Link to a graph & other links to news: http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2013/02/gasoline-prices-increase-to-4-per.html

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember the price drop to 1.38/ gallon. Was that last year or the year before...? At any rate it was astonishing, and short lived. Maybe a week.

My husband and I had gone on an out of state backpacking trip back in the late 70's when on the way home we started seeing gas selling for $1 a gallon. We were shocked!! What was the world coming to? But even then, when our income was lower, not a lot lower actually come to think of it, but gas didn't eat up so much of our budget as it does now.
It's tough on those of us who use our vehicles for our business. There's no car pooling or public transportation options.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i noticed the jump a little over a week ago here. started getting noticeable when my dh got out of the hospital, which is another good reason to have him back home. one less car constantly on the road for our house.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gas is $3.69 here. What shocked me even more was the cost of kerosene...$3.99!!! I HEAT with kerosene! This is just nuts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first started driving, gas was 19 cents a gallon. We could drive around all night on a dollar!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember back in 1997 diesel was .87 a gallon and now 4.11 and reg gas was 3.68 this morning.
after 14 years and 315k my truck it's taking a rest, purchased a Nissan Altima last year can also go all week on a tank.
100 miles a day commute plus trips to the part houses.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In addition to our fabulous weather- our gas is just about 4 bucks a gallon, gotta love NYS. And I can remember when I was broke and would put a dollar in the tank- and be able to drive somewhere! Geez, I am old!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those 20/gallon gas wars . . . . . . .

Drive a couple more Mom & Pop's out of business. I thought Standard & the baby Standard station chains were going to drive everybody out of business! Enco/Esso . . . then Exxon . . . then Exxon/Mobil . . . I guess they kind of DID!

Record profits year after year! Massive tax breaks from the gov . . . BP . . . The world is their oyster!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky! 19 cents a gallon!

I surely remember 29 cents a gallon when I was 6 in 1961.

my 1981 ford 4 door with 314,000 miles on it, 200 cubic inch straight 6, regular carburetor now gets 10 plus miles a gallon on these winding hard bumpy dirt roads. It's 16 dollars to potter Valley and back, and 30 dollars to Ukiah and back. I drive to town as little as possible.

And yes, I do give my ole gal a pat on her dashboard when she gets me there and back. She always gets me home.

I calculate that if gas now cost 29 cents a gallon i'd be able to get to Potter Valley and back for under one dollar, to Ukiah and back for 2 dollars.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gas prices jumped from $2.95 to $3.39 in a two week period. :( Sounds like I should not be complaining about $3.39 huh Lesa!
My FIL owned a gas station back in the day of gas wars. So my DH does remember those LOW prices. (Hey Marshall, you gave away your age.) :D Maybe I should say OUR age!!! Since I have a December BD I will say you are older. LOL :D

Latest posts