gas prices ++ didn't take long

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
OG -- Coincidence that one should follow the other? No, I don't think there would be anything more than a society-wide scheme to try to take some of the pressure off the economy.

The oil crisis of 1973 had to be the "driving force" for the CAFE standards of 1975. I'm not sure if the mileage standards ever had much of an effect on the OPEC nations that chose to embargo oil to the US. Right now, I'm not sure if they've had much of an effect here. What standards there are seem to be achieved with progressively higher powered cars.

What I really notice is how the size of new cars varies with the price of gas!

Unlike what might be imagined (yeah, I'm sure), my first car was not something out of American Graffiti. No, I felt I could afford a 1958 Volvo - 4 speed on the floor, 85 horsepower if I remember right. If got 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

New Cars! We all want them! Road and Track last Fall had a look at the 300 horsepower cars - that are rated at 30 miles/gallon on the highway! These are high-powered, high-performance babies! But, it's still the same 30 miles . . . The same gas goes as smoke out the tailpipe.

My pickup can carry 8,000 pounds combined weight and has 220 horsepower.It weighs over twice as much as that old Volvo, empty. When I bought it, the average amount of power for ALL engines manufactured in the US was 166 horsepower. Average, right down to the subcompacts, up to the Hummers.

Wikipedia tells us that a tiny, little car like a Honda Fit must achieve 36 miles/gallon.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my mom used to brag about how $10 could fill up her Geo Metro's tank and she could still zip around for weeks because she hardly went further than around town. her Metro got upwards of 48 miles/gallon! around here we still see quite a few still running around, a little beat up, but still running around! :lol:

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's $3.77 gal. Reg. here in Northern Michigan today....My brother...(trying to be funny) asked me if I wanted a coupon for a gallon of gas....Of course I said "sure"...he then handed me a $5.00 bill from his wallet.... :/ LOL...Not too far from the truth.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neanderthals like me should not be trying to think...
I'm sorry, truly

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did say personal use, not business use. Your vehicles are business use.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah,I understood that, but we also use them for personal use.
Since we live about 15 miles from the closest grocery and other town amenities, it's just not practical to bike in, although my dh has done that in the summer to get to the gym. But winters are something else altogether. I prefer to have something substantial around me out on the highway, there's deer and elk and moose to consider, and I'm sure you're familiar with log truck drivers, scary in any season!

So, are we still friends?

I probably sounded like this :rant but all I meant was this :idunno

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:bouquet :bouquet :bouquet :bouquet :bouquet

Forgive the poor neanderthal?

:bouquet :bouquet :bouquet :bouquet :bouquet

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not meaning to get off topic, but here's and interesting factoid:

Car colors shift with the economy.

It's true! During times of an economic downturn new car buyers are more likely to buy cars in more muted shades.

Latest posts