gas prices ++ didn't take long

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I wonder how cheap the gas was when Hoodat first started driving. He's the only one on here that I know is older than I am. :rolleyes: BTW, the 19 cent gas was during gas wars, but they were usualy only 29 cents or so, even then.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the cheapest in town right now is at $3.55/gal. i've seen upwards of $3.67/gal at some of the stations right near the highway off ramps. though i did noticed one of the stations came down .02 cents today! :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe if cars had a special guage you punch the price of your gas onto, and it says how much money you spent to go how far.

That's kind of how I calculate it.

16 dollars to Potter Valley and back

30 dollars to Ukiah and back

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2007, I was paying over $4/gallon!

I've always been real conscious of acceleration.

Have you ever wondered how a car can get 15mpg in the city, moving at 30mph and get 25mpg on the highway? It isn't that barreling along at 70mph is "economizing." Everyone knows that all the stop and go is burning more gas but it isn't really the "stopping." It's the "going!" Zero to 35 in 4 seconds! That will do it . . .

Anyway, if gas is in the mid-3 dollar range now, will the oil companies be bleeding us dry in 3 months???

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Course, if us Neanderthals were in charge, we'd make sure all cars had a block of 2x4 taped to the backside of their gas pedals.

Everybody'd use less gas...

Less demand...

and if they still raised the price, tape yet another 2x4 behind the gas pedals of all cars.

way less demand for gasoline!

Poor sultans and sheiks might have to get a second job bussing tables...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you notice a few years ago when gas prices took such a huge jump that people were driving more conservatively? I drove 55 on the highway ( speed limit 65 ) whenever there were two lanes and cars had room to pass. It seemed a lot of people were doing the same.

I guess a lot of people got used to the high prices because now if I do that I get passed like I'm going backwards.
The speed limit on the new section of 95 is actually 55 now, but you'd never know it by the people rocketing past.

I suppose it's a great revenue getter though, the Highway Patrol are sitting in strategic spots and radaring speeders.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm reminded of something that I saw many, many years ago on one of the late night talk shows. An executive from one of the large oil companies was on and was asked about the urban legend that oil companies bought up inventions that allowed vehicles to get unbelievable gas mileages. (The legendary Fish Carburetor comes to mind.) His response stuck with me.

He said something like, "Why would we do that? As long as cars use gas they will need us and we'll have to stay in business. We'll just have to raise prices."

Cars today get over double the mileage that cars of the 1960's era got. As a matter of fact both the first oil crises and the federally mandated gas mileages (CAFE) both came about in the mid-1970's.

Coincidence? :hu

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
what also scares me is something i read yesterday that oil refineries go through yearly maintenance and will be shutting down the next few months to perform this 'maintenance', so this is also the reason for the rise in gas prices in April. it sounds like the northeast will be getting hit hard this spring since 2 of our largest are also going through some big changes of machinery too. :( i think one was in New Jersey and the other was in New York.

i used to do transportation billing to Medicaid for the NH school. when the gas started jumping up in price, i started spotting this jump in costs to the schools to transport their special education kids. it was always in March and April that the bills jumped in costs. most of these transportation vendors are contracted with the districts at a certain cost for the year, but the sudden spikes caused them to start charging extra fees.

eta, and another scary thing i've been hearing is that someone wants to increase the minimum wage amount again. i thought the last time that happened it caused a lot of the prices to jump up too! i know that there are a lot of opinions on this subject, but i imagine this situation will not help much of our gas problems.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought i was the very last dumbest person in the world to realize that raising minimum wage does no good at all.

You mean there still are some legislators who think raising minimum wage does any good???

Fire those lawmakers! They must be e ven dumber than me!!!

The only way to do any good is by making a MAXIMUM WAGE!

What sultan, sheikh, bazillionaire or millionaire really needs all that much money? If they can't make it on 94,000 dollars a year they must be some kind of genetic misfits and should be sent to Monsanto to have their genes repaired!

I recently found out what kinds of computerized toilets bazillionaires use. HA! They can't even be bothered to...(oh boy!)

Latest posts