Gaspe flint corn

levisthered

Sprout
Reaction score
So according to the research i have done dent corn came from flint and flour corn being crossed flour corn is tough to find at least i think i have only found one variety on line. what would a flint and sweet corn cross be like. or does any one know but if i did it i guess i could send you some of those seeds back but it would take at least 2 years to get the cross so i can count the days to tassle and the days to silk and be ready

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I looked up the Japonica corn and it looks real intriguing. But it is described as an ornamental, I could find no reference on actually eating the corn. Did you eat yours and how did it taste? I like to grow things that are not the "normal" varieties. Japonica looks like it would be pretty growing in my front yard garden.......but if it grows here, it has to be edible.......and not just edible-but taste good too.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not yet tried eating the Japonica, but it sure looks like a good flint corn. Maybe it has a higher grit percentage, I don't know. It is definitely a flint corn. Japonica Striped Maize really is beautiful, beautiful plant, beautiful filled cobs of deep purple kernels that shimmer nicely. If you grind your own corn I am guessing, but I think it'd be a good grinding corn. Not being noted as an eating corn, that may be because it has a higher grit percentage, but then, hay, Texans used to eat grits for breakfast, that I know.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I have not yet tried eating the Japonica, but it sure looks like a good flint corn. Maybe it has a higher grit percentage, I don't know. It is definitely a flint corn. Japonica Striped Maize really is beautiful, beautiful plant, beautiful filled cobs of deep purple kernels that shimmer nicely. If you grind your own corn I am guessing, but I think it'd be a good grinding corn. Not being noted as an eating corn, that may be because it has a higher grit percentage, but then, hay, Texans used to eat grits for breakfast, that I know.
Virginians still do :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We eat grits, but the mill I have says NOT to mill flint corn as it is too hard and will damage the mill. I didn't want to pony up $650 for a hand crank mill heavy enough for flint corn. Was courious if the Japonica corn could be eaten fresh or cut off the cob for cream corn. Guess I'll have to plant some to find out. Anybody eat fresh flint corn?

levisthered

Sprout
Reaction score
to anyone who is interested about old corns I found this really cool site called nativeseeds.org. They have a ton of corn seeds and all other kinds of things that i don't know i haven't really had the time to look TTFN
Levi

Kyrt

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Here's yet another person drawn to this forum by the allure of the super early [and apparently super tiny] Gaspe Flint corn.

The good news, for those of you out there looking for a source, is that assiniboinetipis seems to ship out of Canada and carries Gaspe Flint.

The bad news for me, is that they require a certain minimum order value that would consume about half my seed budget this year [and that's before accounting for shipping] and the Gaspe [and perhaps one squash] is pretty much the only thing of theirs which interests me.

I couldn't possibly be so lucky as to stumble upon a kind soul with excess seed corn willing to make a private sale or something could I? :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's yet another person drawn to this forum by the allure of the super early [and apparently super tiny] Gaspe Flint corn.

The good news, for those of you out there looking for a source, is that assiniboinetipis seems to ship out of Canada and carries Gaspe Flint.

The bad news for me, is that they require a certain minimum order value that would consume about half my seed budget this year [and that's before accounting for shipping] and the Gaspe [and perhaps one squash] is pretty much the only thing of theirs which interests me.

I couldn't possibly be so lucky as to stumble upon a kind soul with excess seed corn willing to make a private sale or something could I? :p

Hi Kyrt! Welcome to TEG! I didn't get anything from my planting last year, but I might have a bit of seed left from a few years ago. I'll have to go dig around in my seed vault....I mean cardboard box :D where I shoved it all when i was seed starting. PM me and we can figure it out.