Gaspe flint corn

abaddon

Garden lurker
Reaction score
a few things to note, i have to hill my long season corn, but if i have my plant spaced a 3 ft row spacing and 1 ft in row, there is enough dirt in between every other row to do the hilling, meaning between every other row i make a bed between rows of corn plants, this year i interplanted gaspe flint between mesquakie indian 120 day corn. i only put one row of gaspe between mesquakie, but next year, i will plant 2-3 rows between every other row of mesquakie. i hope they get pollinated as they are at quite wide spacing, 6 ft rows, 6 inch spacing in row, but it certainly works to get 2 crops from one space. ive also thought i could probably and will try next year, to grow gaspe in 6 ft beds, but then come upon this time of year undersow with another long season corn, one to get my pollination schedules different and get multiple crops per season, by the time the long season corn needs hilling, the short season corn should be edible in the green corn stage or later for drying. i heard on hear a notion, that we could see 5 years without a summer and this crop would be favorable in those conditions. that is an understatement, we are in an interglacial period, they last from 10,000-35,000 years out of every 100,000 years, aka we spend most of our time as humans in a glaciated period. its been 12000 years since the last one so it could be anyday the glaciers advance, with 100 percent chance in 20,000 years. How? supervolcanoes block out the sun, its part of the earth cooling, and i dont think we take into account how much heat is left in the earth. i believe the volcanic activity will continue until enough pressure is released. heres the kicker, the vibration of the surface of the earth is effecting the speed at witch the earths heats decays, the more vibrational energy we have the more entropy works against that heat and diffuses the energy. animals have been getting smaller since the dinosaurs one because there is less heat on this earth for them as a food source, but 2 it slows down the decays of the earths heat.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@abaddon welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. What you have to say flies in the face of the global warming hysteria. Would you mind putting your general location in your avatar? We live in different climate zones, states, countries, and it helps when we are talking with one another to have a general location. I want to hear how your corn planting experiment goes.

Tomv

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to the forum and have to admit that I (like others I see) joined because of this interesting little corn! I currently have a beautiful full row of Gaspe flint corn that I am preparing to harvest and am very curious to know how other other people have found it to eat? Everything I see references using it in soups and stews (which is what I plan to do), but wondering what other peoples experiences have been with it? Cooking times, texture, flavor, etc? I grew mine along side my hidatsa shield beans and a number of different squashes that I am planning to use for a "three sisters soup". The beans have gotten so carried away with their climbing they have managed to tackle a few of my Gaspe's to the ground, so I may have to quarantine my beans to the sweet corn section of my garden next year lol! Thanks in advance! - Tom

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tomv I am so glad to have you here. Welcome from Texas. I haven't ever grown the Gaspe flint corn, so can't answer your questions. Please stick around and tell us more about your garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to the forum and have to admit that I (like others I see) joined because of this interesting little corn! I currently have a beautiful full row of Gaspe flint corn that I am preparing to harvest and am very curious to know how other other people have found it to eat? Everything I see references using it in soups and stews (which is what I plan to do), but wondering what other peoples experiences have been with it? Cooking times, texture, flavor, etc? I grew mine along side my hidatsa shield beans and a number of different squashes that I am planning to use for a "three sisters soup". The beans have gotten so carried away with their climbing they have managed to tackle a few of my Gaspe's to the ground, so I may have to quarantine my beans to the sweet corn section of my garden next year lol! Thanks in advance! - Tom

Hi Tom, wow this is an old thread, lol! I never did cook my corn as I had planned. I ended up giving away all the seed I grew to a fellow for a corn project he was doing.
I am also amazed to remember I used to give my chickens a warm feeding of mash...who was that woman?
I will be very interested in hearing about your corn and what you do with it.

FlipTurnFarm

Sprout
Reaction score

I joined also looking for Gaspe Flint corn! Can anyone recommend where I can buy some in the states? My kids are Listuguj and I thought I'd grow some heritage corn for them to see this summer!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Hi Tomv :frow, that little corn has a lot of fans!
I could not find a US source, you may have to order from a Canadian supplier. If you find some and grow it I would love to hear back about your results.

Sherck Seeds in Indiana used to have them available, but they don't currently sell them.

Last edited:

Latest posts