Giant Pink Banana Squash PIE!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
All 3 are C. maxima . And, I don't see the characteristic "cup" ;).

I'd wager that it is a cross but ... they are all 3 good tasting, similar, and in my favorite species.

Steve

i've not seen a large buttercup squash in years, they're not doing that great here while the kabochas keep steaming right along. i'm not even sure any of the buttercup have grown this season at all. i don't think i've seen any when i've looked, but there might be a few hiding someplace in the rocks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you have Pink Banana squash again in 2021, Bay'?

Our "pumpkin" pie season began, yesterday. I'll cheat and move my earlier picture on this thread:

img_20201022_085406-jpg.37291

There were 4 pies but I didn't snap a picture. Still have enough for 4 batches of those Latte cookies but I think I'd better go with a simple pumpkin raisin recipe - calls for more pumpkin ;).

Also, we had pumpkin soup. The addition of shallots adds to it, especially, really adds flavor, ginger too. Can't say that I'm pumpkinned-out, yet ;)! The squash vines haven't been threatened with frost and I'd prefer those Buttercup and Kabocha to be for winter fare but there are plenty at the moment.

Hey, I learned that @catjac1975 's favorite for pie ~ Rumbo ~ is a Kabocha! I don't suppose that I'll ever try it in my garden. Several Kabocha went through a trial run out there but only Cha Cha matures properly. Even at that, Cha Cha had one bad season out of the dozen or so that I have grown it. Buttercup comes through since back in the Pleistocene :).

Steve
I don't know about Rumbo being a Kaboocha. I think they are like a cheese head. The flesh is extremely orange with the texture of spaghetti squash. I could not find my precious Rumbo squash ANYWHERE for 2021. So I have a smaller version growing. I do not like the look of it in trying to replicate my favorite Rumbo. But I have not cut into it yet. How long is your season? I cannot imagine Rumbo not performing well. One year I must have had fifty of them. Of course I have cut way back on what I plant. I just need a couple for my pies. I am glad you mentioned pumpkin soup. I forgot how much I love that with home made warm bread.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i like the look of those Fairytale pumpkins, i'm assuming they are edible but are they? oh yes, they're edible. :)

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does this kabocha appeal?

No dtm listed but it says "early." Fedco and Johnny's has something similar (Sunshine) but it is a 95 day.

Latest posts