Going back to College??????????

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugsThanks everyone. I went to the college today to speak to the advisor. She was very helpful. I have 12 credit hours from when I went to college before.
I have 48 credit hours to finish my degree.
The advisor helped me fill out my finanicial aid today. I have to wait abou 5 days to see if I quilify for federal aid. Fingers crossed that I am approved so I dont have to take out a loan.:(

I took our DD with me. She got to talk to a Chemistry teacher at the college and he even did an experiment with her. She is considering taking her core classes and then transferring later. :celebrate

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugsThanks everyone. I went to the college today to speak to the advisor. She was very helpful. I have 12 credit hours from when I went to college before.
I have 48 credit hours to finish my degree.
The advisor helped me fill out my finanicial aid today. I have to wait abou 5 days to see if I quilify for federal aid. Fingers crossed that I am approved so I dont have to take out a loan.:(

I took our DD with me. She got to talk to a Chemistry teacher at the college and he even did an experiment with her. She is considering taking her core classes and then transferring later. :celebrate
Financial aid is loans.No matter what the cost-CC is cheap. The cost is a tax deduction.Don't let cost deter you. You will be so much more employable after your degree. The credits will accumulate before you know it. I went for my first masters after being out of school for 20 years. Then I just kept on going for a second masters. The pay increase I realized was fantastic. My youngest was pretty little at the time and it was good for her to live with Mom one evening a week. I did not know if I could even write a paper any more. It looks daunting at first but it all comes back easily.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Financial aid is loans.No matter what the cost-CC is cheap. The cost is a tax deduction.Don't let cost deter you. You will be so much more employable after your degree.
Agreed!!! We paid for 2 years of college for each of our 3 daughters, and all of them spent that at our local CC, thus making it cheaper. In fact the only DD who attended the final 2 years of undergraduate at our land grant university had better teachers/professors at the CC and a lesser curriculum There than her older sister had at the other university--both English Majors.
Our economy is ramping up. If President Trump can continue to improve it, the US economy kept hampered by over regulation (companies forced to pay for med insurance for over 50 employees, so they could not afford to hire more) is now experiencing less regulation and that promotes growth and jobs. President Reagan's economy lasted for 3 decades. YOUR degree is a lucrative one. As I said before, it isn't hard to get straight A's, and there are still employers who appreciate a great GPA. For difficult subjects--like "differential equations", as was discussed recently by the meteorologists on Weather Underground, TWC--you can buy an old textbook that makes sense to you, study it BEFORE you register and take that class, thus mastering it and not fretting about it while taking the class. I am an unemployed educator and have learned a few tricks along the way. :old

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not giving up. Hubby made too much money in 2015 for me to qualify for a pell grant, so not I'm looking to other means of financial aid. I'm just now getting my other student loans paid off and REALLY would rather not go that route, but if I have to I will.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you can go for it, do it!

my dad had never went to college till the very late 90's taking a few night classes. i had started at the local CC in 98 & what should have been a 2 year college took me almost 4 years since i was working a full time job at the same time & taking 1 class 2 nights/week. (48 hr/week+ at a restaurant when i started, then worked for a bank when i got done in 2002) i was paying as i went so i didn't have to get a loan. they pushed it in 2000-2001 since it was no longer a locally/family owned college at that point & the conglomerate was pushing a lot of junk on students. even forced some of the better teachers to leave after that & then ended up closing their doors in 2007 i think.

since dad worked for a place that did tuition reimbursement if he got a passing grade he decided to go too! i got the family discount on my classes so i paid roughly $500/class. dad & i walked at graduation together with me getting my diploma just before him!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going to call the College advisor Monday and see if she can help me figure something out. Maybe they offer some sort of grant or something for people like me, if not I'm applying for loans. I think I have put this off long enough.
The DD is a senior in High School this year and has a potential job at our local subway. So she's on her way to bigger and better things for her own life soon.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are scholarships out there that are meant for those trying to go back to college & not for recent HS grads. you just need to search for them which can be the hard thing to do. the college advisor should have mentioned this but they probably get some sort of kickback from getting people loans & not advising them of other resources.