Going back to College??????????

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even with a college degree in your later years, you are still competing with young college graduates for jobs.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Even with a college degree in your later years, you are still competing with young college graduates for jobs.
Mary
Exactly!!! Have you spent any time with them?!?!? They are arrogant, know-it-alls with few business skills and few social manners and usually have no REAL work ethic. This is bc mommy and daddy gave them trophies for showing up.
MY DD's are the exception and that is bc they started working at age 16 (Youngest worked at age 15). We refused to buy their driver's insurance for them. Youngest DD (atty) has been approached by the lead judge who has taken a shine to her bc she is so organized.
pfft...competing with 20-somethings today...:smack

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Privilege goes a long way back to the Robber Barons of the Industrial Age or was that the European Aristocracy ... sometimes, it was just one generating another, I'd guess.

Well, I'm neither a modern 20-something nor one of their permissive parents (in less than 12 months ;)).

What were those? The "hover parents" having graduated from carrying a door key around the necks because their own parents were not at home ... We all do some things right and several things wrong ...

No, I'm moving on to where my Greatest Generation father hangs. Yeah, just showing up and that's 'bout it.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, I agree with you in the different work ethics between young college graduates and older graduates. But the reality is that you ARE competing with them for jobs. They are most likely to get hired first.

Mary

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I'm not "old" persay. But I'm no 20 something either and have been threw the rough times. I know nothing is handed to me or my kids. We have had our share of struggles in the past and have over come them. It's that work ethic I want my kids to have. I want them to work for the things they want or need in life. Our youngest is patiently waiting for word about her first job. She is 17 now and I would not let her work last year because of her crazy band schedule. She has proven to me that she is a good enough student I believe she can handle band, school and a job. She pulled all A's this semester in school. And this years band schedule is not as brutal as last years.
But back to what we were talking about.... the job market for people in their 40's and even 50's. Is there work out there for our generation??? Are employers willing to take the chance on a older employee? I think there are companies willing to give folks like me a chance.
I dont know how many jobs there are available to someone like me at this particular time, but I'm sure when the time comes I will be able to find a job.
I did go to the employment office today, and they said I have a chance at getting help from them. I have a few specific things I need to take with my at my appointment, but that's not a problem. I just hope I can get the help from them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ducks, I agree with you in the different work ethics between young college graduates and older graduates. But the reality is that you ARE competing with them for jobs. They are most likely to get hired first.

Mary
Hired first, fired first. DD watched a know-it-all 3rd year (Law student) working as an intern in her SA's office. He took over the office set aside for all of the interns, moved in with and slept with one of the other atty's there, got hired prior to his Bar results, then shows up on the first day of work after drinking until 2AM and being arrested for a DUI. He was quietly fired and so was his GF, but she had serious and obvious sobriety issues, too, so it was the last straw. The other traffic atty that shares part of her current load had connections to get His job, and sometimes takes a Friday off because he wants to. DD and the atty hired right before her created a notebook for him when he started to help him. He never opened it. He whines constantly and comes to court unprepared. My other DD works for a local clinic, now the biggest employer in town. She is one of two/30 who started together and who is still there working. The office clerical staff has a union so everyone in the office, including all attorneys has to clock in and clock it. My daughter pulls more hours than any of the other attorneys there.
When I was teaching I witnessed teachers right out of school sucking up for their jobs. Easy enough to move to a different district when it wears thin. I knocked myself out and created lesson plans out of thin air to relieve monotony. I worked like a dog and still couldn't please the new principal who would pull into her spot (right outside of my classroom window) at 9:30 every morning. I couldn't beat the previous principal (who hired me and retired after 30+ years) to the building even if I arrived at 6AM and found that she was already there.
You cannot be discouraged by what you think is the competition and the competition isn't what it used to be. If you work hard and keep a good attitude you will do well. One other thing...if the job environment sours, start looking around for a new job quietly and then they will throw you a nice going away party when you leave.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I believe there are employers out there who will take a chance on someone a little more experience and better work ethic than younger kids.
I may be kidding my self, but who knows how this will pan out....no one.
I'm not going to let self doubt and age stop me from following my dream of that degree. I started 20 + years ago and I had good grades.... I wan to show my kids that it's never too late to follow your dreams no matter what life throws at them. Lord knows I have had a lot of obstacles thrown at me, now it's time to get serious and not let life get in my way this time.

Latest posts