Going to be gardening this week...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have a great trip @lesa ! Hoping the weather is perfect for you! ... YAY! pictures!

My daughter moved to WI, love having her close... but I will be gardening in my kitchen. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about NwMtGarderner...we could have had a gardening reunion! Really looking forward to seeing my daughter (no grandkids yet, Mary), and some sunshine! They are calling for 80's for the whole week!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa lucky her I know about 10 people who bought homes there in passed 2 years.
I soil is poor in most of Florida. You will need to replace the sand with good soil for the daylilies. The also need a lot of water. They bloom twice in Florida May and September. The tiny fans I give her turn into 8 fans the following year. She does not give them much care as she is a busy student and also working.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I head back to MT tomorrow but have had an AMAZING week!!! The weather has been spectacular, and my Mom and I have been VERY busy. I'm going to be sleeping on the plane for sure!

We biked 23 miles on the paved rails to trails one day, then walked her dogs later that night. Mountain biked one day, then did a short bird watching walk in the afternoon. Visited Myakka River State Park one day and took an airboat ride and bike ride there. Kayaked for hours, swam in her pool in the afternoon. Rode her horses for 3 hours one day, after a morning kayaking with the manatees!! Today we "took it easy" and rode around on the Withlacoochee River for 4 hours or so, bird watching and enjoying the sunny 83 degree day. I'll definitely be visiting her every year from now on!!

The real estate in her area seems just dirt cheap to me right now (coming from a trendy, touristy place where the real estate is expensive). And tons and tons of places for sale. Its tempting...but I guess I'm so lucky - already have a place to come stay for free so don't have to buy one myself!!

Hope you have as terrific of a stay as I did @lesa !

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Heather! Now you have me really excited! Glad you had so much fun! I'm off...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I soil is poor in most of Florida. You will need to replace the sand with good soil for the daylilies. The also need a lot of water. They bloom twice in Florida May and September. The tiny fans I give her turn into 8 fans the following year. She does not give them much care as she is a busy student and also working.
Also- My SIL has a lot of trouble with moles eating the daylilies.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the gardening was not all that I dreamed of... Turns out the roots of the palm trees, go everywhere- and make it near impossible to dig a hole. I did get a few things planted in the ground- but then we went shopping for large pots! It was still fun, but not all I hoped it would be. And I have also forgotten my passwords, so I can't post the pics!
The weather was 80's and sunny the whole time we were there. Just perfect! It was fun to pick out plants for her garden, that I either wouldn't dream of planting - or that I have growing as houseplants. We got a small lemon tree, and a potted elephant ear, and a few other goodies. Now we will see if she can keep them alive.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I never knew palm tree roots went everywhere. I just thought they stayed in a clump like fashion. With their heat it's going to be hard staying on top of those containers.

Mary

Latest posts