Got pictures of the mystery weed (o:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with so lucky... I think you better leave it there. A large section of my veggie garden is covered in that stuff. (Guess what I am doing this weekend?) The only thing I will say for it- the bees like it.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Lesa and So Lucky...it looks like ground ivy and you don't want it. I've pulled out my share of it. Though I don't find the odor that offensive, it is certainly "herbish." Be careful when you dig the other desirable plants that you don't get a hitchhiker!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ground ivy will grow along the ground (!) under the grass stalks in your lawn, and pop up everywhere. I have pulled out trailers that are 4 feet long, and they break, so you know they are a lot longer than that! Any that you accidentally bring home, be sure to weed out religiously. I guess 2,4-D would kill it, but I don't want to spray due to the chickens wandering there.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I'm convinced. NO nice, smelly thing from the dump-house.

I'll have to look real careful at the others before I bring any home. The iris' and daffodils shouldn't be a problem because I can bring them home bare-root. Probably the little hyacinths too. The wisteria will stay where it is - fight in the middle of that field of ivy. I had hoped to pick up a small cedar but it's got ivy all around it and I don't want to damage it's roots

Does anyone have a suggestion for a BARE, hard, rocky, clayish area under an oak tree? There are just enough spindly weeds there that I have to wander around with the weedeater, but not enough that it's worth risking the mower (and my windows) around all those little rocks. That's were I was thinking the ground ivy would go nicely - but apparently it isn't very nice at all.

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Ok, I'm convinced. NO nice, smelly thing from the dump-house.

I'll have to look real careful at the others before I bring any home. The iris' and daffodils shouldn't be a problem because I can bring them home bare-root. Probably the little hyacinths too. The wisteria will stay where it is - fight in the middle of that field of ivy. I had hoped to pick up a small cedar but it's got ivy all around it and I don't want to damage it's roots

Does anyone have a suggestion for a BARE, hard, rocky, clayish area under an oak tree? There are just enough spindly weeds there that I have to wander around with the weedeater, but not enough that it's worth risking the mower (and my windows) around all those little rocks. That's were I was thinking the ground ivy would go nicely - but apparently it isn't very nice at all.
If you like the looks of it, creeping jenny may do good there if it's not really dry. I hear it grows well in clay. I have mine in and on the side of my pond.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, creeping Jenny is very different from creeping Charley. But they like each other :p

Jenny is a lot nicer.

Not much grows under the deep of an Oak. Try a bunch of Columbines. They'll enjoy the edges.

Starting Columbine seed is a good intermediate challenge!

Latest posts