Got pictures of the mystery weed (o:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ground ivy will grow along the ground (!) under the grass stalks in your lawn, and pop up everywhere. I have pulled out trailers that are 4 feet long, and they break, so you know they are a lot longer than that! Any that you accidentally bring home, be sure to weed out religiously. I guess 2,4-D would kill it, but I don't want to spray due to the chickens wandering there.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wisteria on my fence that comes from a neighbor's yard. I am tempted to sneak in her yard and poison the durn thing. :he

On the oak tree with the hard ground with the rocks under it. How about landscaping with more rocks? Like some nice big ones? Maybe gravel trails inbetween and a bench or two thrown in the mix. Not a jumbled pile of rocks with crevices and holes for snakes and rats to hide in, but a few carefully placed rocks to make it look attractive. I had a very shady backyard one time on a slope and it was landscaped with rocks. It was really pretty and a nice place to sit on a hot day. Then you plant some shade loving plants on the outer fringes and you have a beautiful peaceful spot for a retreat from the days toils and worries.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes it is. It was always one of my Mom's favorites. I had considered taking a small one and planting it near the chicken coop fence. I was thinking that it would provide shade. But knowing it's pushy nature, I thought better of it. There is a pine tree in there. If the wisteria gets in that tree it will jump from one to the other until the whole nature area is shrouded in vines.

Does it grow in your area Marshall? I have no idea about it's hardiness. Maybe it's just a southern thing.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OOOOHHHH SO MAD!:somad

I was sitting under my tree at lunch and looked over to see the iris' that I'm going to take home tomorrow and this is what I saw:

8721_dscf1298.jpg

It looks like someone tried to yank them up! The ground isn't hardly disturbed at all but every single one of the leaves/plants is broken off and scattered around. OH how I wish I had access to some yard tools today. I'll bring my stuff tomorrow and hope that whoever did this doesn't know enough to know that they haven't killed it. :rant

Also, I saw this - now that all of the iris leaves are gone. Anyone able to identify it? Pretty 3-lobed (?) leaves with silver streaks.
8721_dscf1299.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy that's hard to tell, but is it something in the Campanulaceae family, a Campanula of some kind?

Ya know, whoever lived at that dumphouse years ago was a real gardener. Keep on traipsing around there. I'm certain you'll find more charming things. Is there an old fireplace? look near that.

Yes, set some shovels and buckets in your vehicle next time yoiu're there. Someone else has also discovered this treasure trove!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D Yup - there is a fireplace, and some undisturbed iris.

I hope that whoever damaged the big iris bed had the same trouble that I did yesterday. All afternoon I had the creepy-crawlies. Found a BUNCH of seed ticks when I got home. Today, I am armed with digging tools, buckets and insect repellant.

:tools

Latest posts