Grandparent bragging

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got paid to do chores was called allowance every Friday. I had to cut grass and trim hedges. to this day I hate trimmed hedge only have natural
@Nyboy PAID for chores. Never paid for chore or an allowance! And boy did I have chores!o_O Only money I earned was for babysitting other peoples children (Never paid to watch younger siblings.) Well maybe there was a form of payment. We could not watch cartoons on Saturday until our chores where done.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got $1 for cutting grass and $1 for trimming hedges. Hedges went across whole front yard, plus there where hedges trimmed in to balls between sidewalk and street. With hand hedge trimmers rich people had electric

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got paid to do chores was called allowance every Friday. I had to cut grass and trim hedges. to this day I hate trimmed hedge only have natural
My kids asked for an allowance once they were teens. We told them their allowance was all of the money we spent on soccer and other sports for the special clothes hotel stays etc..If they wanted an allowance they would have to pay for those things themselves. Their chores were things like stacking firewood loading the barn with hay for the horses around 2 days a year. If you talked to my son he spent nearly every day of his life picking up hay from a field. And stacking wood still gives him nightmares. He now has a wood stove in his own home but buys the firewood. We always cut ours form our property. My daughters would beg their way out of it and trade for cleaning the house.. I always thought that was a great deal. I always rather be outside picking up wood and gardening then cleaning house. My grandsons have to help clean. But with them around the clean lasts bout 2 hours.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both my husband and I grew up poor and of course didn't get any money for jobs or allowance. So we raised our kids the same way. Occasionally we would run into someone who disagreed with our method and said they wouldn't know how to handle money if they never had some. Let me tell you, all 3 of our kids are great savers and frugal with no debt. I guess they must have learned by example.

Mary

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My kids asked for an allowance once they were teens. We told them their allowance was all of the money we spent on soccer and other sports for the special clothes hotel stays etc..If they wanted an allowance they would have to pay for those things themselves. Their chores were things like stacking firewood loading the barn with hay for the horses around 2 days a year. If you talked to my son he spent nearly every day of his life picking up hay from a field. And stacking wood still gives him nightmares. He now has a wood stove in his own home but buys the firewood. We always cut ours form our property. My daughters would beg their way out of it and trade for cleaning the house.. I always thought that was a great deal. I always rather be outside picking up wood and gardening then cleaning house. My grandsons have to help clean. But with them around the clean lasts bout 2 hours.
Both of my sisters kids where very involved with different sports at school. Cost her a small fortune. But did pay off with scholarships to collage

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both of my sisters kids where very involved with different sports at school. Cost her a small fortune. But did pay off with scholarships to collage
One got a small scholarship. They ll did better with academic scholarships. But no one got pregnant,drunk or took drugs. I can remember complaining to my husband one Sat night at 11:00 about being at yet another indoor soccer game in the HS years. And he said, "She's not at a party, getting drunk or high and having sex." I never complained again.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got no allowance, but had no chores. I did what was asked of me and it could be anything anytime and I was expected to pick up things. My parents were both blind, so my helping would be different than other people. My own kids did not get an allowance or have chores. They did what I asked them when I asked them and they knew things had to be done and I cured them from being bored. When very young they would start to whine, I'm bored, so I gave each a plastic sack. Usually this was DD, older than DS, so he got a sack because of her, lol, and then told them to go outside and fill sacks with any trash, sticks or leaves and don't come in until the sacks are full. Later when DS was a little older he would start to say I am bored, and I would look at him, ready to say get a sack, and he would say I'M NOT BORED and head for the door. LOL

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both my husband and I grew up poor and of course didn't get any money for jobs or allowance. So we raised our kids the same way. Occasionally we would run into someone who disagreed with our method and said they wouldn't know how to handle money if they never had some. Let me tell you, all 3 of our kids are great savers and frugal with no debt. I guess they must have learned by example.

Mary
Exactly :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
One got a small scholarship. They ll did better with academic scholarships. But no one got pregnant,drunk or took drugs. I can remember complaining to my husband one Sat night at 11:00 about being at yet another indoor soccer game in the HS years. And he said, "She's not at a party, getting drunk or high and having sex." I never complained again.
Same ;)

Latest posts