Great herbs at Whole Foods

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat - there is no such thing as too much info.
Mine, so far, root pretty well in water. It was the switch to dry seed starting mix that did the last batch in.... But now I know to WET the stuff first so I'm hoping for better results this time.

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had my rosemary for over 4 years now. I've transplanted it a couple of times and found the partial sun spot for it. Now it is huge and it has grown all winter long in my zone 7. Did I just get lucky?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you've got a healthy rosemary, so that's lucky. :D
My problem was trying to start new plants from cuttings... and not knowing that I was supposed to wet the soil BEFORE putting their tender little baby roots in it.... My established plants are in full sun (the roof blew off the porch) and they seem to do just fine - the oldest is even blooming now.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
canesisters said:
nelson castro said:
Pruning the rosemary after it has flowered it will tend to take on a much bushier form.
True that.
A while back I posted about my rosemary getting 'leggy' and leaning over. Yall said it would be ok to trim so I did - wow! It doubled in density! Looking great and still growing well.
:D
That is indeed a great news. Glad that you did try it. Mind if you share some images with us, it would be very much appreciated.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got a rosemary about 12 yrs old or so. wish I knew the variety. it never ever blooms. it does however keep a nice tight form. I shear it once a year (after any chance of blossoms) - 6 or 8 inches. tough as nails while looking good. now that's a plant I can love.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
canesisters said:
nelson castro said:
Pruning the rosemary after it has flowered it will tend to take on a much bushier form.
True that.
A while back I posted about my rosemary getting 'leggy' and leaning over. Yall said it would be ok to trim so I did - wow! It doubled in density! Looking great and still growing well.
:D
That is indeed a great news. Glad that you did try it. Mind if you share some images with us, it would be very much appreciated.
Not a great picture... but you can see how full she is. She's about 2 1/2' tall now and blooming.
8721_dscf1171.jpg

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There is a variety called Arp which is very cold tolerant. I have grown it outdoors without any problem. I live in the Pacific Northwest, but my altitude is over 1000 feet, so we do get our share of cold. It is an upright plant with blue flowers. Very attractive (and tasty). It is the only rosemary I have grown since discovering it. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder where I can find that Arp variety! So far my Rosemary has not snapped out of its coma. Still all brown. Must be a tender variety that I got last spring. Was not all that cold.

That name, Arp: I remember back in '72 seeing a keyboard synthesizer called an Arp. It was either the first or one of the first synthesizer keyboards available. But then, Hammond had been making organs with varieties of sounds for years and years, but this Arp made a lot of different sounds that could be mixed.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, am I glad I read this thread! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your rosemary covered in snow, Canesisters. I've never had one survive outside. And I usually have trouble keeping them from drying out inside over winter with my wood heat. I'm off to find where to buy this 'Arp' variety!

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Arp is very easy to find around here in nurseries. However, it can be purchased through Territorial Seeds as a plant. I'm sure other gardening catalogs carry it as well. It is a wonderful plant.