Great News !!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the ones that I see are trailers or rental houses where the owner is paying someone to empty it and clean it for the next tenant. It's a "business" here - go in, strip it to the walls, clean carpets, and spray for bugs - make it look and smell ok - ready for the next family. The faster you can finish one, the faster you can go to the next.
:( It just breaks my heart to see toys and carseats and new looking furniture come through.... that's someone's latest 'fresh start' heading to the dumping site.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No you can not if not done though court system legally you can be charged with thief. I am talking about if evicted. Someone moving out and leaving behind junk another matter

with our local garbage pick-up there is recycling, not everyone does it, but if you set things out at the curb that are bulky the garbage company will haul only so many items away. in many cases if you set out nice things they do get picked up by people coming along. we almost grabbed some mirrors last week some people down the road had put out but Mom talked herself out of it. we'd have put them to a secondary use in some decoration or something she is planning on doing. i never really know what is coming next...

when it comes down to legal things, yes, certainly one person cannot call to have someone else's items to be removed until the courts and processes have been done, but once those have been done it seems that the next thing that anyone owed money would want to do is auction that stuff off to recover some of their $. and it seems so very wasteful if it is trailer after trailer and there should be some way to get that stuff to either poor people or to recover money for victims, or something other than throwing it away. it's just a horrible statement about our society that we don't recycle a lot more than we already do. so wasteful.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the ones that I see are trailers or rental houses where the owner is paying someone to empty it and clean it for the next tenant. It's a "business" here - go in, strip it to the walls, clean carpets, and spray for bugs - make it look and smell ok - ready for the next family. The faster you can finish one, the faster you can go to the next.
:( It just breaks my heart to see toys and carseats and new looking furniture come through.... that's someone's latest 'fresh start' heading to the dumping site.

i would be pretty depressed too seeing that. especially with good condition items that can be reused. just seems so bad that there are not laws/process that would let people reclaim and reuse such items instead of burying them...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here we have whats called heavy day every wed, Any large item on curb will be picked up. I know friends who spend tue night riding around garbage picking. Either scrap metal or shabby chic resale. But because of fear of bed bugs things now are not pick up. I live within 5 miles of 3 different collages, the students would scoop up any furniture curbside with in a hour, now days go by till trash truck comes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once I had a friend stop by, he was going on about the most amazing pair of chairs out on the curb. He was to embarrass to stop and pick them up. I told him my parents always picked up from curb i had no problem. He could not believe in middle of day I would go pick up garbage. We went back the chairs where still there , I loaded them in trunk of my car while he slide down seat so no one would see him. He had the 2 garbage chairs redone in a dark green silk and still has them almost 30 years later.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we're not too proud, dumpster diving if we see some construction materials. two of my tables and a small bookcase i have are from fixups from dumpster diving. not much $ into them. Mom finds places and even asks them if it is ok to take scraps. i'm not out and about like she is.

one time when she was visiting one of my aunts they drove by some marble counter-top place that had stuff by a dumpster so she pulled in, in the pouring rain and loaded up her car. my aunt never stopped talking about that. the sun fades a lot of the fancy colored things, but they are still interesting bits of this and that around here. now they've been in place long enough they have moss and other things growing over and around.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my coffee table is a Waste Management recycle center find. i couldn't believe someone tossed it out it was in great condition. i've had it in some of my grafting & seed pics before. i admit it takes up some space but i also use it as a foot stool when not collecting papers & catalogs or being used for working on projects.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hu
I've been to the local one a time or two.. can't say that I EVER WANTED to go....
Hot, bugs, snakes, every square foot seemed to be trying to cut, scratch or bite you

Exactly. I've been a bunch with my husband as support personnel. There isn't anything intriguing to me about a bunch of old broken down vehicles, even though I get the reason for having them around.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle it is very hard too. If my father did not get rents from 2 apartments in the house he would not be able to afford living there. And that is with some kind of senior rebate.

Latest posts