Green Peas, English Peas or Whatever Ya'll Call 'Em

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay 4 Bay'!

I am not sure that I said it on here but the snow pea seed is a lot more trustworthy in cold ground than the snap & shell peas I grow. Those smooth seeds aren't packed with fermintable sugar like the wrinkled types.

I think that might be why they are called "snow" peas. You gave 'em a good test, Bay'.

If you don't have many for your 1st harvest, you can take about 4" of the tendrils along with the pods. Think of them more like the tenderist "greens" you will be harvesting from your spring garden. I hope you enjoy them :).

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh sure, leave it to Bay to take a northern species and make it work in south..... Now she will be sending pix of hers bearing while my garden is still under 2' of snow. Grrrrrr:tongue

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hooray for Bay! It is always a thrill when something we planted pops up and starts to grow. Especially when the weather brings doubt about their survival. I knew yours would do well, I planted peas in my raised bed one fall. Come spring I had lots of peas plants that I cut down for green manure. If they can survive zone 5, they should be happy in your Texas winter.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
9 inches of snow today in Philadelphia. It's going to be a long time before I can get my peas in the ground - 6 more weeks of winter according to Punxsutawney Phil!

According to SSE, the Amish were growing a snap pea long before these became popular. I've had good success with an open pollinated snap pea called Cascadia, which I like because it stays below 3 feet tall. I still trellis it but it is a robust grower that sets well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How . .

. do you like that PhilaGardener?

A face to go with a name :/.

Steve

coffeespit.gif

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is positively exciting Bay!

Today I bnought a roll of 2 foot wide, 50 feet long chicken wire to

raise the roof.

Also bought a roll of plastic 6 mm to make the contraptions which will also use the hardware cloth that will stop the gophers...(it better or im putting a large bounty on gophers).

got some more protein powder too. i'll be needing it...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys are making me wish I'd gotten snow or snap peas instead of English peas. I got "Wando" peas and just thought that was that. Dang it!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't feel bad about Wando @AMKuska I am still on the English pea train myself. We love them, especially my mom. I got 4 pickings last spring, then let them go to seed and I planted 500 seeds this time. I think most of them have come up. I will have to try the sugar snap too, but space is a real issue here.
I love this forum where we all share our ideas, what we are planting, what varieties, how to care for them and how to harvest. Good luck with your Wando peas! I planted Maestro.

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
oh so jealous!!! had a big storm today... got out of work early. Post pics if you can, so I can live vicariously though you!

Latest posts