Green Peas, English Peas or Whatever Ya'll Call 'Em

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, here are pics. Here is a view of the hay twine trellis I plant them on. It is in two sections, the one closest to the garage, I'll plant green beans on the second week of April. I just plant over the English peas, by the time the green beans grow up the twine, the English peas are toast anyway. The second part of the trellis, from the red tub toward the street is wider and I'll plant corn in it followed several weeks later by butterbeans.

English peas 2-6-2014.jpg

Close up of the English peas. DH and I covered them with oak leaves before the snow and ice we got--twice!! Then I uncovered them, leaving the oak leaves as mulch.

English pea 2-6-2014.jpg

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, here are pics. Here is a view of the hay twine trellis I plant them on. It is in two sections, the one closest to the garage, I'll plant green beans on the second week of April. I just plant over the English peas, by the time the green beans grow up the twine, the English peas are toast anyway. The second part of the trellis, from the red tub toward the street is wider and I'll plant corn in it followed several weeks later by butterbeans.

View attachment 1105

Close up of the English peas. DH and I covered them with oak leaves before the snow and ice we got--twice!! Then I uncovered them, leaving the oak leaves as mulch.

View attachment 1106
I'm jealous!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went out and bought a packet of snap peas AND snow peas so I wouldn't miss out on anything!

Reactions: Hal

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You just let the pole beans grow over the peas? Any issues with doing things that way?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 I tried it the first time last year. I only have a small front yard for the garden, so I have to maximize my space. When it was time to plant the green beans, I just planted them right beside the English peas. By the time they came up and started to climb, the English peas were winding down. It was a smooth transition from peas to beans on the same trellis.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh, I am definitely going to try that. The more room available in my garden, the more I can plant!

Latest posts