Greetings from Germany

P Suckling

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After 4 decades in England, we have now moved to Germany. To a new generous plot of land and blessed with an artesian well. Slowly getting acquainted with the new soil and the new climate. All my seeds were moved too, especially the bean seeds. Difficult varieties are now often much easier to grow in the warmer and brighter weather of South East Germany. For example the greasy beans which love it here, but were very difficult in England. Limas also do much better here. Predictably, the typical English beans are not as plump and juicy here, but they are ok too.

Looking forward to getting to know everybody in this group and delighted to be sharing our bean adventures.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from east Texas. I’d love to hear more of your gardening adventures. Please feel free to post all the pictures you like. You are with a group that can appreciate pictures of compost, your garden all tilled up! We will admire all your hard work and cheer for you.
We have another member in Germany, @Phaedra Geiermann and she has a lovely garden.

P Suckling

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from east Texas. I’d love to hear more of your gardening adventures. Please feel free to post all the pictures you like. You are with a group that can appreciate pictures of compost, your garden all tilled up! We will admire all your hard work and cheer for you.
We have another member in Germany, @Phaedra Geiermann and she has a lovely garden.
Thank you Baymule. I looked up Schleiden where Phaedra lives and it is a long way from here sadly. Oh yes, I can find a lot of photos of things that haven't quite gone right, I'm sure. Like the small, but perfectly formed :) , cauliflowers we are harvesting at the moment. Also taking down the absolutely last beans, much later than normal, as we have an unusual spell of warm weather. Normally we would be well frosted by now. Pink Tip Greasy, but it did not get a pink tip here. Picked the probably last zucchini too, but there are still tomatoes in the greenhouse. It has been a strange, extremely long autumn and we may get another week of this warm weather.

What is still growing your way?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome From Central Illinois.
There is a vibrant bean community here, so you'll fit right in.
We have already had one good freeze Here. Sweet peppers (plants bc I harvested) held out through 3 frosts, but the 4th night did them in.
Might pick your brain about growing cauliflour. Pls put "Germany" with your avatar bc I will forget where you live when you start posting.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Baymule. I looked up Schleiden where Phaedra lives and it is a long way from here sadly. Oh yes, I can find a lot of photos of things that haven't quite gone right, I'm sure. Like the small, but perfectly formed :) , cauliflowers we are harvesting at the moment. Also taking down the absolutely last beans, much later than normal, as we have an unusual spell of warm weather. Normally we would be well frosted by now. Pink Tip Greasy, but it did not get a pink tip here. Picked the probably last zucchini too, but there are still tomatoes in the greenhouse. It has been a strange, extremely long autumn and we may get another week of this warm weather.

What is still growing your way?
Hi there, so you are in which state?

I also keep my tomatoes both in the hoop tunnel (main stems removed in early September, but the side shoots are kept for experiments) and outdoors (propagated from side shoots, also for experiments, too.).

The unusual warm weather is somehow funny, our Turkish poppies are growing again. They should enter their dormancy already. Our warm weather will only last for another two days, but it won't become too cold soon. It seems that this winter will be a warm one.

Here some broccolis are still growing, chilis, peas (I sowed some very late, now they start fruiting), broad beans (I sowed some in September and some last week), Chinese cabbages, a lot of lettuce, brassicas, cherry radishes, and lamp lettuce.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello from Canada @P Suckling! :frow

We have a thread here devoted just to beans! You'll be right at home!

What are your favourite beans to grow? I've tried several English beans and loved them all, Mrs. Fortune & Mr. Fearn's were excellent. I've also begun growing a number of German heritage beans and love them too. Kartoffelbohne and Dusslinger Backershurze were absolutely wonderful.

P Suckling

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:welcome From Central Illinois.
There is a vibrant bean community here, so you'll fit right in.
We have already had one good freeze Here. Sweet peppers (plants bc I harvested) held out through 3 frosts, but the 4th night did them in.
Might pick your brain about growing cauliflour. Pls put "Germany" with your avatar bc I will forget where you live when you start posting.
Thank you Ducks4you.

Or how not to grow caulis ;) . I make compost in situ on the garden beds in drum type containers open at the base. As I pull these off a few months after filling, I am left with mounds of compost that eventually gets spread over the beds. Anything growing next to the compost 'daleks' grows much more strongly and lush because of nutrient run off. I need to plant cauliflowers with a lot more of my homemade compost. As I compost more, more is available and caulis are a hungry vegetable. These were in a not yet improved bit of soil. I am new to growing them, so a little bit of success (with a lot of improvement potential) is nevertheless encouraging.

Will try to add location details - good idea.

Latest posts