Greetings Gardeners!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am working today. DH wishes I would stop, but I really enjoy working with students. Once the weather turns Spring, I've told them not to call me, so there is little time to play with children before I stay home to play with the worms.

Didn't want anyone to expect a speedy reply from me today. See ya'll after school.

Oops, today is Friday -- our weekly sleep-over with the youngest Grands. I might not get on very early at all. Have a great day!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluebonnet I saw you joined on the other forum. I'm not a member but I noticed nobody answered you goat milk question. The answer is yes you can make cheese from goats milk. As a matter of fact my family is going to milk out their goats this year and I will be using some of it to make soaps and cheeses.

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Baymule suggested that I get Spanish Goats.

I'm still very much undecided. It seems like some goats are cute and others are simply so ugly that they are cute.

I have read that goats are escape artists. Is this true?

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hear that constantly, but my families goats don't even try. :idunno The ones in hot wire keep about 3 feet away from the fence, and the ones in regular red brand fencing rub on the fence but they don't climb it. One lady I know has a fence made of tied together cattle panels, pallets, and whatever else she could find, and amazingly her goats don't even try :idunno That being said I'm sure some goats are otherwise te saying wouldn't be so prevalent.

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm against electrical fencing. I do not mind constructing a more expensive, traditional fence, provided it is strong enough and of the right kind to keep my animals on my property.

How do you keep goats entertained? A bored animal is far more likely to have behavioral problems in general. I do not want to just have them, use them when I want them and not give them a good life. I like to take steps to ensure that my animals lead long better lives than they would otherwise have in a traditional setting.

Also, what do goats eat? Do they free range? How much land do they need?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goats are browsers (like deer.) They'll eat brush, brambles and vines, but will hardly touch pasture even if they're starving.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm against electrical fencing. I do not mind constructing a more expensive, traditional fence, provided it is strong enough and of the right kind to keep my animals on my property.
Why are you against electric fencing?

How do you keep goats entertained? A bored animal is far more likely to have behavioral problems in general. I do not want to just have them, use them when I want them and not give them a good life. I like to take steps to ensure that my animals lead long better lives than they would otherwise have in a traditional setting.
They tend to amuse themselves, just like in the wild, They play butt, run around and leap in the air. Give them a large boulder or two, or put giant cable spools and ramps or even just a mound of dirt and they'll have a blast. For the most part adults don't do that as much as kids, but every now and again when the weather is perfect they'll join in too for a minute or two. Adults mostly sleep, eat or stand around socializing with each other.

Also, what do goats eat? Do they free range? How much land do they need? They browse on brush, and occasionally eat the grass,they do need free choice hay, some people give grain others don't. Goats don't need anywhere near as much space as sheep, on poor pasture 2-4 goats per acre on good pasture 6-8 of course this is general, and more can be added if they have grain and free choice hay.
I answered all your questions but you'll ave to click on the quote

Latest posts