Greetings Gardeners!

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am against electrical fencing on the basis that it is more of a risk from foolish persons attempting to wander on my property and it is not worth the risk of a lawsuit. Besides, if they were confirmed to be a threat, they would be shot to death on sight, with no questions being asked in the interest of my own self defense. I do not play around when it comes to security.

The main reason I am against it is because I am against animal cruelty and although the fences might not injure them permanently, I know I would not want to be shocked by a fence. I find a good rule is to not do anything to an animal that you would not want done to you. It's a personal choice. Not knocking anyone who uses electric fences.

Classic fencing is also more historically correct, which is a goal for my property.

I can give them hay, but I am concerned about providing them a diet. Is there a goat feed you can buy at the store that is organic and GMO free? I would prefer to grow my own, but my primary concern would be keeping them away from my vines and berries.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Journey and Wishin' said.
Just a few extra details...

The reason they should have free choice hay is because of their very fast metabolism.

Goats are herd animals and need at least one other goat to be content.

If you are keeping them for milk production you'll want to govern what they eat so the milk doesn't come up with occasional off flavors.

The escape artist label can be linked with specific breeds.
But certain individuals of any breed will sometimes be much more adventurous
and hard to contain.
Mine do well in cattle panel pens.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if you've ever experienced the shock from a basic livestock hot wire Bluebonnet (I am not talking about the New Zealand type fencing which delivers a real whomp) but the type of charger most often found around the farms I'm familiar with, and that I have, don't deliver a heart stopping shock. It's merely unpleasant and I can't think of any reason for it to be called inhumane.

I cannot tell you how many times as a kid I climbed through the hot wire (ours was an alternating current, that sent pulses of charge through the wire) that my sister had promised me she had turned off and got a kind of woohoo! surprise.

I survived childhood in spite of that and have turned out pretty close to normal.o_O

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Regardless, if it is uncomfortable for a human, it is likely so for an animal too. Humane or not, I just want my animals to be comfortable and content, without surprises. There is also the issue of deer and the occasional antelope and wild boar. There are also birds and other animals and I want to make sure that the fences I have just keep them out, but do not hurt them or pose a risk. Defensive plantings also do a good job of keeping the bigger worries away and give that natural look to the land if done correctly.

What can alter the flavor of goat milk? I've often wondered if animals that have milk that can be altered in flavor naturally might be useful in producing an interesting cheese. Often good inventions and money makers are found by finding a silver lining to a common problem.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I respect your opinion and I'm not arguing, but I would like to say I've been shocked several times and aside from an unexpected scare it isn't all that bad. As a matter of fact I usually end up laughing till I can't breath because I can't believe I shocked myself again and was surprised AGAIN.:gig My brother used to shock himself on purpose because of how funny it felt :lol: A low voltage alternating current doesn't hurt at all, it only surprises. Our turkeys, chickens and wild birds touch it all the time with no reaction. But somehow it convinces the dogs, goats, and sheep to stay put.:idunno

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluebonnet, I understand your aversion to electrical fencing. That said, you and I both know Texas has an awful problem with feral hogs. They can and will root under any fence, destroying it in the process, if there is something in that fence they want. It might not be a problem of keeping what you want IN, but keeping what you don't want OUT! :lol:

All in all, it will be a process of finding what works for you and what doesn't.

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wool conducts electricity, which is why you can use it with batteries to start a fire.

I wonder if that could be why the sheep stay put, if maybe they find it an interesting sensation, but I have no idea why a dog or another creature might stay put. What an interesting question!

I keep the hogs off of my property by having animal control come and remove them safely. Other than that I have not yet found a method to discourage their habitation. Same goes for rattlesnakes.

I love keeping my prairie, but I am scared of the snakes and such that it can harbor and also because they are a threat to my beloved prairie chickens because they can eat the eggs they lay because they nest on the ground. :(

Hello PhilaGardener. Thank you for your kind words. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too was one of those odd-ball kids who'd touch the fence on purpose or on a dare. :D

The birds don't react because they actually can't get shocked just by sitting on the wire. Any critter will have to make contact with the ground and the fence simultaneously in order to get shocked. The current has to complete its path.

I can definitely see where electric fence would not be authentic to the time period you are looking to recreate.

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I too was one of those odd-ball kids who'd touch the fence on purpose or on a dare. :D

The birds don't react because they actually can't get shocked just by sitting on the wire. Any critter will have to make contact with the ground and the fence simultaneously in order to get shocked. The current has to complete its path.

I can definitely see where electric fence would not be authentic to the time period you are looking to recreate.

You would be surprised at how many ground nesting birds like to pick a spot under a fence to be their nesting site.

Here in Texas, we have the Texas Prairie Chicken, the Eskimo Curlew and other ground loving critters on the prairie that make their homes in nests on the ground. Since part of my land is managed with the aim of keeping it as intact prairie, with all of the nature that goes with it, this is a concern of mine.

It is my hope to produce several consecutive acres of Texas Coastal Prairie and to place it in a conservation easement so it can be used for Texas Prairie Chickens.

Thus, keeping my land prairie friendly is important.

Latest posts