growing artichokes?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi greenthumb! :frow

Have you sown your seeds yet?

Here is a recipe you should keep for when you eventually get the chokes. It comes from one of my favourite FOOD BLOGGERS......!!

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2005/06/leos-artichokes.html

I have never come across a recipe using milk in this way & I am urgently waiting for mine to be ready but unless we have a great fall it will be next year for me!

I hope you find it interesting. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do I still have time to get artichokes in this year? I tried some last year but the spot I had my garden in was not the best and all it produced was a few cukes. My family loves artichokes and I had rather grow them then buy them for 2 or 3 dollars each at the grocery store.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there, gone 2 seed :frow

I think if you could buy ready grown offsets you would get artichokes this year, but if you sow the seeds now, probably not. :idunno

If you have mild winters I would sow seeds now. Otherwise start them early in the New Year. Mine I sowed in late April (indoors) & they are about 9" high now. I intend planting them out in the fall & mulching as well as covering with floating fleece for the winter. But then I am in the South of England....!!

Others here will probably be able to help you about your chances of a crop this year.

Best of luck! :happy_flower

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Hi greenthumb! :frow

Have you sown your seeds yet?

Here is a recipe you should keep for when you eventually get the chokes. It comes from one of my favourite FOOD BLOGGERS......!!

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2005/06/leos-artichokes.html

I have never come across a recipe using milk in this way & I am urgently waiting for mine to be ready but unless we have a great fall it will be next year for me!

I hope you find it interesting. :frow

:frow Hi Hattie :frow

Yes i did sow the artichokes seeds, i believe i sowed them on this past Wednesday. I have them in the warm greenhouse hopefully i'll find sprouts soon:fl then i could post pics of them.
Ooooohhhhh Thank you soo much!! for the recipe and that link about aritchokes it was very useful and informative.

:thumbsup

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Hi there, gone 2 seed :frow

I think if you could buy ready grown offsets you would get artichokes this year, but if you sow the seeds now, probably not. :idunno

If you have mild winters I would sow seeds now. Otherwise start them early in the New Year. Mine I sowed in late April (indoors) & they are about 9" high now. I intend planting them out in the fall & mulching as well as covering with floating fleece for the winter. But then I am in the South of England....!!

Others here will probably be able to help you about your chances of a crop this year.

Best of luck! :happy_flower

Our winters are fairly mild. If I sow them this year how much room would they need? I am thinking I could sow them amongst other plants and then next year just have the artichokes in that area? Would that work?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi gone 2 seed :frow

As you have not sown the seeds yet I think that would probably work out OK

In the first year they tend to shoot up high; later years they move sideways too, with their off-sets.

It depends a bit on the variety as to how much room they need as they sort of expand into whatever space their is. As they like a lot of water & feeding (especially in the first year) if you have anything in that bed that doesn't you will have to move it. The shade cast by these very tall plants could also be a problem.

How many plants are you intending to grow?

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK! :happy_flower

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would think I would plant maybe 4. I know somewhere I have some seeds from last year. I have to see how many there are.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee My artichoke seeds are sprouting, i counted 9 so far, i'm expecting more to start coming up.

:coolsun