Growing grass in a starving world

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser, you have a great idea, as usual. Do you have a State Conservation Center anywhere near you? Ours has great meeting places, does advertisement and promotes all kinds of programs trying to introduce city folks to the outdoors. I bet a Wild Edibles program would go over well....maybe has been done here already.....
I don't know if it could really be considered a state conservation center, but there is a conservation center nearby, probably about a half hour drive from here. They have about 100 acres were visitors can go on nature walks, just standing near the edge of those acres I can point out many different edible plants. I will have to go over and talk to some of the people there. I can identify most plant pretty easily, staying away from mushrooms though, those make me nervous (I know puffballs and another mushroom that looks like a puffball with alligator skin).

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedobsesser great idea but can never happen. Legal liabilty is to great, someone eats something and has a allergic reaction your looking at lawsuit. Sorry would need to carry insurance which isnt cheap.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedobsesser great idea but can never happen. Legal liabilty is to great, someone eats something and has a allergic reaction your looking at lawsuit. Sorry would need to carry insurance which isnt cheap.

Oh, surely a person could preface their class with a disclaimer about this type thing. And use photos from published books to supplement their information.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
People used to believe in "Personal Responsibility". Now it seems to be "You deserve ___" and suing is almost like winning the lottery. So sad, really.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 20 years ago my wife use to sell backed and caned goods at a city sponsored " creators sale" for arts and crafts and consumable goods, etc.. She made about $500 profit per annual event. Then one year someone got cut via a fall onto an "art object" and filed a law suit. So the city had to purchase a liability insurance that the participants had to pony up the premium for. My wife's share was more then she usually made which means that she had the pleasure of working for FREE in order to sell her baked and canned goods. Most of the sale people couldn't afford the premium and the sale folded. :rant

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's why you don't go and eat whole platefuls of whatever it is all at once. You're supposed to start small in case you do get an allergic reaction. Disclaimers do help.

A lot of the folks here still believe in personal responsibly (I mentioned before that the general area has a big senior population, doesn't mean that they're all like that of course but a lot of them are) although getting sued is still a risk, so I do get your point.

I left a large basketful of cukes and peas in the front with a sign with price and a can to put money in, the money in that can covered all of the produce (I even got a little more).

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The old man across the street sets up a folding table with tomato plants on the honor system. I onced asked him if he was ever shorted money. He said never somedays there is even extra.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guy here sells sweet corn on honor system. He makes money but too many help themselves.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Ken Adams WELCOME!! I am trying to eliminate most of the grass in my yard and my neighbors.
The grasses inhis yard are used for mulch and chicken bedding! Clearing out a new area now to build a strawberry tower:celebrate

Latest posts