Growing roses from rose hips

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Has anybody here tried propogating roses with rose hips? I picked and dried out about a dozen of them from my yellow knockout rose. I noticed that there are multiple seeds inside of them, and I've read that there are often several different ways to grow that the plant uses.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried it a few years ago, and had no success. I remember someone on here did it and had good results...

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tried it before with at least some success. In my case I didn't expect much and that is about what I got in terms of results. I read the link posted by canesisters, but my approach was a bit different. It has been some time since I researched it, but you want the hips to stay on the rose bush until after a freeze I seem to recall.

In this case, I think more is more. The more seeds you attempt to start the greater the percentage of having some germinate. I just used shallow plastic containers (3-4 inches deep) and left them outside and let nature take it's course. The really cool thing about having some actually germinate and begin growing is there is no doubt when you see it that it is a rose. Even when they are just getting started the leaf structure is very distinctive. The rose you end up with may or may not be similar to the one that produced the seeds.

It is certainly a good project for these cold winter months we have ahead of us. Good Luck! :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why bother with the seeds when you get poor germination and you do not know the genetics in the seeds therefore the blooms may or may not be the same as the desired one ? My mother used to save about 1 ft. long parts of the stalks when she pruned her roses in the winter and kept them in the refrigerator wrapped in moist paper towels wrapped in plastic saran wrap. In the spring, she would just push these half way down ( make sure you identify the bottom end of the cane is the end that is into the soil ) into the garden soil where she wanted them to grow... soon they would sprout leaves, and she had perfect clones of the desired mother rose.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
Why bother with the seeds when you get poor germination and you do not know the genetics in the seeds therefore the blooms may or may not be the same as the desired one ? My mother used to save about 1 ft. long parts of the stalks when she pruned her roses in the winter and kept them in the refrigerator wrapped in moist paper towels wrapped in plastic saran wrap. In the spring, she would just push these half way down ( make sure you identify the bottom end of the cane is the end that is into the soil ) into the garden soil where she wanted them to grow... soon they would sprout leaves, and she had perfect clones of the desired mother rose.
Now THAT is a cool idea!! :rose

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
you need to make sure they are growing on their own roots not grafted.
Not exactly so. The rose cuttings you sprout will be identical to the roses you are growing. They may not be as hardy, however, if they are growing on grafted roots and may need extra winter protection.

Love, Smart Red

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
What great responses--Thanks, all!
I'm gonna try the planting and leaving outside, and then see what happens. Next year, I'm trying growing from cuttings. I really love my yellow knockout rose, but I do know that it's probably grafted--guess we'll see what I get. :D

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grew rose from seed (harvested rose hips) once. My gma had a very pretty pink sweetly scented rose. I put the seeds in potting soil and covered w/ plastic and waited FOREVER and nothing, so eventually I tossed the soil out of the pot to try the next thing (whatever it was at the time no idea now) anyway w/i a few weeks the spot I tossed the dirt to sprouted a rose. It grew to be a very small plant and bloomed single white rose blossoms, nothing like the original rose.

I agree cuttings are so much easier.

Latest posts