Harold the Rooster

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the trick list? i only know of sitting and pecking at a target. some i missed somehow... sleepy time me brain is not working well at the moment. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug Do More With Your Dog ( https://domorewithyourdog.com/DogTricks/ ) gives you a title for your pet if you can do 15 tricks on their list. Although I've only formally taught him 3: Sit, peck a target and scratch a target, we can do 15 on the list using his ability to peck a target.

As an example, "Standing on a box" is one. All I have to do is ask him to peck the target but hold it above the box and he'll fly onto it. Coming when called is one. He does indeed come when called. He hears his name and usually comes running.

"Bobbing for treats" is on the list, which isn't trained at all, but apparently he is willing to pick popcorn out of a bowl of water intuitively. I go out there and record one every few days. It's just been slow because he's going through his 'teenage' phase.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some watermelon to give Harold today, and decided to try a little experiment. I've noticed that when he's aggressive, it's always as soon as I enter the enclosure. He often starts working himself up while I'm still outside. He's also switched over to "Treats = Good" mode after we've worked a while every time.

Today (wearing offensive pink shoes no less) I brought the watermelon, ignored Harold, and fed it through the fence to the girls.

He couldn't bluster at me because he couldn't reach me, and the girls were eating without him! (!!!!)

Well, he forgot all about attacking my shoes and switched immediately to treat mode. I was able to go into the run to give him the rest, and he was happy as can be.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow and see if he reacts the same way. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Things are back on track with Harold! Wearing all pink again, I went out there and did the same treat protocol. I then went in and asked him to do a trick. This time it was a new trick, standing on a platform. He came up and pecked the platform a few times and touched it with his chest, and got lavishly rewarded for all of it.

Next time, I hope he will jump on the platform.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Things are back on track with Harold! Wearing all pink again, I went out there and did the same treat protocol. I then went in and asked him to do a trick. This time it was a new trick, standing on a platform. He came up and pecked the platform a few times and touched it with his chest, and got lavishly rewarded for all of it.

Next time, I hope he will jump on the platform.
I like reading your reports about training Harold! It's such a unique hobby!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harold made me laugh today. He has figured out that I am not for attacking. This did not stop him from attacking everything else new in the coop.

I brought in a small flower pot to rest my camera on so I can get more than their feet. He karate chopped it!! Then there was a small sticker on some wood that has been there forever. He had to go and get that!! Then there was a piece of paper taped to the side of the step we are working with right now, and you guessed it, he attacked that.

The girls are getting good at stepping onto the step for snacks. Harold has yet to try it, mainly because he's running around karate chopping everything. :rolleyes:

Latest posts