Hello from Arkansas!

Cuddles11

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My name is Cathy. I have lived in Northeast Arkansas for almost six months. Previously I was a Northwest Florida native (40 years). I have been blessed with a green thumb and fertile land. I cannot remember life without a garden, and began planting and harvesting before I started elementary school. I easily fall in love with plants, and have been caught picking up strays neighbors toss away at the curb, dragging them home on my bicycle or in my car.

I moved from a 1/2 acre plot of land in a Florida city to a 40 acre farm in Arkansas. The farm has a hodgepodge vegetable/flower garden that we are planning to move and completely revitalize. Along with our cow and chickens, I am hoping to build a garden in an attempt to become much more self sustaining.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG Cathy! You are so lucky to have so much room for your gardens and animals. I always wished I had just a tiny bit more. Oh well, we do the best we can with what we got. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your gardening endeavors.

Mary

Cuddles11

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG Cathy! You are so lucky to have so much room for your gardens and animals. I always wished I had just a tiny bit more. Oh well, we do the best we can with what we got. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your gardening endeavors.

Mary
Thanks, Mary! Do you have raised gardens? How long have you used them? I am currently reading a book regarding square gardens versus rows, and wondered what you thought.

Thanks for the reply!

Cathy

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Mary! Do you have raised gardens? How long have you used them? I am currently reading a book regarding square gardens versus rows, and wondered what you thought.

Thanks for the reply!

Cathy
Cathy, this is what I have.
IMG_6948.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6950.JPG
    IMG_6950.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_6964.JPG
    IMG_6964.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_6966.JPG
    IMG_6966.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 199

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG!

I do have raised beds for my veggies. I've had some of them for 5 years and others for less time. I still need two more beds to fill my fenced in area. I love raised beds for so many reasons!
I tried square foot gardening with my first three beds, but found that a bit restrictive for me. I do intensive planting and interplanting as well as successive planting so it's not all that different from square foot.

Good to have you here!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cathy, sorry I don't know how to post pictures very well. I don't know why the others came up like that.

Most of my veggies are in 4 x 4 beds that hold only a 6-pack. I have 4 of these. We also removed the lower deck and I have 3 small raised beds there. They are for my strawberries, lettuce, and cilantro. I have large containers for my blueberries, and potatoes. Last year I was able to grow a tomatoe in one but it didn't really produce that much. I'm still trying to grow other stuff in them but without much success.

Mary

Latest posts