Hello from East Texas

Just Don

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hancock, MI is right across the canal from Houghton, MI. often they are smushed together when mentioned, though they are quite different small cities. i lived mostly in Houghton while i was up there, but for a few years i lived at the far and very uphill end of Hancock. it could be a very long walk in the middle of winter, but it usually did me some good. :) i eventually moved back to Houghton though when an attic became available.
very pretty area

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are blessed I grow anything I can I bough another place so starting the garden over. Squash, tomatoes, chayote squash and some herbs.
(added emphasis mine)
If there is one thing I miss about gardening in California, it is growing chayote squash. The most fascinating vegetable I've ever grown. Really good in stir fries, stews, soups, or just peeled, cored, chopped, and eaten like zucchini.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
(added emphasis mine)
If there is one thing I miss about gardening in California, it is growing chayote squash. The most fascinating vegetable I've ever grown. Really good in stir fries, stews, soups, or just peeled, cored, chopped, and eaten like zucchini.

you can eat the leaves too if you like cooked spinach like things. the tender young ones can be eaten more fresh, but i've never done that. i was just looking at pictures trying to see what the seeds look like...

150 day growing season, well that won't happen here.

seeds germinate while the fruit is still moist/mushy so you can't grow these from dried seeds.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
you can eat the leaves too if you like cooked spinach like things. the tender young ones can be eaten more fresh, but i've never done that. i was just looking at pictures trying to see what the seeds look like...

seeds germinate while the fruit is still moist/mushy so you can't grow these from dried seeds.
The problem with chayote isn't really the length of the growing season... it is that the plants are daylength sensitive, and won't begin to flower until days approach 12 hours. Since the Autumnal equinox is September 21st, that is too close to frost for those of us in the North. I've considered trying to grow it under a temporarily-heated hoop house, and may try that one of these years.

DW & I have eaten the young vine tips, and the giant "pumpkin seeds". Supposedly the plants develop edible tubers as well, but I never felt like sacrificing a plant to find out. In retrospect, I probably should have dug up some roots before I moved, since the new residents most likely killed them without knowing what they were.

Sorry for the hijacking @Just Don , our conversations here tend to wander outside the lines occasionally. ;)

Just Don

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@Just Don what do you do with chayote? How do
@Just Don what do you do with chayote? How do you cook it?
first year I've tried growing and when I pick one it'll be first time I have ate one, but it there is a lot of recipes out there. I watch youtube video and what I though was interesting is it comes back every yea it is from Mexico but it's all around the world now. You can also eat some of the tubers like potatoes and also eat the leaves. It is known to produce a hundred squash for a season.

Just Don

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

I grew one in the fruit and one out of the fruit kind of a inny outy.. You can do it both ways.

Latest posts