1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spiders - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Hello From North Florida!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you? New Member Introduction' started by Ayla_noemi, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Feb 22, 2018
    Ayla_noemi

Ayla_noemi Chillin' In The Garden

Hi,

Thank you for the tips! I forgot to mention that my husband did buy a rediculous amount of lady bugs and released them around our trees. He also bought praying mantis eggs to hatch in order to release around our trees also.

Nyboy likes this.
  2. Feb 22, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    :welcome from Central Illinois!! You can amend that soil, which is easier than chasing the garden hose every day to pots.

Ayla_noemi likes this.
  3. Feb 23, 2018
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Our soil is also sand, like the beach without the ocean. This is my 4th garden year since we moved here. The first year was a colossal failure, each year gets better. I have used compost and wood chips trying to put humus in the soil.

Are you planning on raised beds? At our old house I gardened in beds and was able to raise a lot of vegetables in them.

Ayla_noemi and ducks4you like this.
  4. Feb 23, 2018
    Ayla_noemi

Ayla_noemi Chillin' In The Garden

Yeah I was thinking of a raised bed green house. I was also thinking to add auto watering sprinkler system. Not that I have money I just have a relative who works with watering systems ( I have no idea what it’s actualy called). He did our yard sprinklers and was talking about some sort of nutient injection system that hooks up to the sprinkler and adds to daily irrigation. He was talking about its uses for lawns which we thought was overboard but I wanted to talk to him about possible greenhouse uses. He had told me something about filling a tank with some type of natural fertilizer and water ( I don’t remember which fertilizer maybe rabbit) and that the system draws the nutrient rich water and over time you can see a difference in your soil. I’m not set on this just thought it might be a good idea.

baymule likes this.
  5. Feb 27, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Welcome Ayla_noemi! This is a wonderful site full of knowledgable nice people. You will get so much help.

Sounds like you are on the right track with raised beds since you have such sandy soil. I garden in the ground. My yard is so tiny that I don't have room for raised beds. It's really just 3 beds 4x4 and another bed that is same size but raised 5".

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Mary

Ayla_noemi likes this.
  6. Feb 27, 2018
    majorcatfish

majorcatfish Garden Master

:welcome from north carolina....

Ayla_noemi likes this.