Hello from Ontario!

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Indoor won't work for us at all, we only have 450 sq. ft. of living space and I have to plug the AC in this summer (my doggy can't stand the heat, being a pug, and frankly neither can my fiance).

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Yes, the fire escape for most of us was the regular walk too in and out. Plenty of room, and only one time did someone bump a plant noticeably, and that was a labor day so they were probably drunk :p those apartments often had a college student living offcampus...

the vertigo thing, that's just me, lol! actually usually kind of cool...
Haha, very common here as well, we have a college and a university in our city and most students live off campus. Fortunately our landlord doesn't rent to students at all, so every one is either retired, or is out of school working.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
HELLO from down in Virginia.
greenstars.gif

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Aha, so I can finally post some photos of what I'm working with here!

So this view is from my back door looking out onto the fire escape landing, on the left is my downstairs neighbours kitchen roof and we're going to be fitting a box to sit right over the peak, that will be the box that has the poly tunnel.
IMG_1030_zpsb7967d45.jpg

And this view is looking from outside my neighbours back door toward my back door, we can use basically most of the space here but I would like to limit the amount of pots sitting on the walk-way between our two doors. You'll notice the planter hanging on the railing, I think I'm going to scoop the soil out of that and just use it to hold pots. Last year it had some snapdragons and creeping thyme in it but the pigeons took a liking to it so I think I'll just put pots in it and cover that with aviary netting. My fiance talked about building a second planter to fit over the other end of the railing, although I might just get one of those deck boxes as I can get them to fit over skinny railings and that would be perfect.
IMG_1029_zpsb56cb0d3.jpg

Down below the fire escape is an area that isn't really used by anyone except for throwing junk really so I'm going to clean it up and we're planning on putting some rubbermaids on skids to house lettuce and spinach.

sdavie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
And actually, to add, the box that will sit on the roofline, the bit of roof it will sit on is actually the one visible in the second photo as you look straight on. It has what we call the "stink pipe" coming out of it, from downstairs, and between the railing and that pipe will be a box with poly tunnel .

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, love the "can do, spirit". In Indiana, we call it a stink pipe as well............

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello from Missouri! What direction does your back door face, sdavie? I think you are going to manage to plant quite a bit in that small space.

Latest posts