Hello from Rhode Island

BFVSFOREVER

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Carol I am with Journey " glad not every stupid thing I do makes the evening news"
Welcome from NY. I try to visit Newport at least once a summer. Love Rhode Island beautiful state.
Nyboy, My wife and I moved here from Garrison, NY. We lived in Putnam, Connecticut for a year until they found this place, It is in good shape thanks to the past two owners that restored it. If they hadn't, it would have been torn down.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was also a stop over for the stagecoaches running between New York City and Providence/Boston. There are many relics on the property used to tie up the horses. If you look at the black and white photo you can see a section of the building that no longer exists along with the porches. Unfortunately that section and the porches were not salvageable when the restoration took place. It was the "Bed and Breakfast" portion to provide for travelers. There was also a huge kitchen in that section.

I think it looks so nice with the porch too. Were they unable to replace them for historical reasons? I've always heard that restorations have to be very accurate to designate the home as a historical building.

BFVSFOREVER

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am not sure, I am going to get in touch with the Historical Society and try to find out. There are signs posted along all the roads "You are entering the Hopkinton Historical District." Anything done to the exterior of the buildings must be approved by the HS.

BFVSFOREVER

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, this house is registered in the National Registry of Historic Places. The picture there is pre restoration and I am truly amazed what has been done to bring this house back!!! Unfortunately the picture is to big to post here. I will figure it out and post later, you will be shocked and amazed!

BFVSFOREVER

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I figured it out. Here it is.

Attachments

• BeforeRestreduced.png
    BeforeRestreduced.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 190

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice house! dh and i inherited our house and would like to bring it back into better shape. ours was built per city records in 1902 but my dh says he thought he saw a stone with an older date somewhere around the foundation. we're not in anything historical other than it used to be owned by a church as a Parrish house and a pastor & his family used to own it before my FIL bought it in 1977.

right now i've been working on bringing back the fruit trees and garden on the property and working on the inside to make it livable again. my FIL left it in a deplorable state when he passed.

something i noticed you mentioned on your site was about the granite stones holding up the carriage house. those notches in the stone are from where the stone mason made his cuts to split the stone. they would start a hole every so many inches and use a method called 'plug & feather' to split the stone along a line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_and_feather

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice house! dh and i inherited our house and would like to bring it back into better shape. ours was built per city records in 1902 but my dh says he thought he saw a stone with an older date somewhere around the foundation. we're not in anything historical other than it used to be owned by a church as a Parrish house and a pastor & his family used to own it before my FIL bought it in 1977.

right now i've been working on bringing back the fruit trees and garden on the property and working on the inside to make it livable again. my FIL left it in a deplorable state when he passed.

something i noticed you mentioned on your site was about the granite stones holding up the carriage house. those notches in the stone are from where the stone mason made his cuts to split the stone. they would start a hole every so many inches and use a method called 'plug & feather' to split the stone along a line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_and_feather
COOL, thanks for the history lesson on stone masonry! I love learning new stuff like that. (Never too old they say!)

BFVSFOREVER

Leafing Out
Reaction score

It is not my site, that was a road trip article written about the property 2 1/2 years ago by a relative of Mr. Wells, his 3rd cousin 5 times removed that I found Googling for information about the place.

Latest posts