Hello from south western B.C.!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have loved gardening for more than 40 years, but for some reason only discovered growing dry beans this past summer-- and I am smitten. Growing beans has kind of allowed me to explore the world with horticulture, and my garden is becoming the UN of beans! This year I found beans to be a very low maintenance crop-- and in spite of what was likely the worst cold, wet, spring weather ever they did surprisingly well. It will be interesting to see what next summer yields, and I am looking forward to hearing about and learning from the experiences of other growers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Central Illinois. Be sure to put your location with your avatar or in your signature bc I will forget where you live when you start posting.
VERY friendly here. Braggerts and "negative Nancy's" don't stick around here.
If you like beans...sigh..there is a big bean community.
Actually, I have caught the bean bug, too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have loved gardening for more than 40 years, but for some reason only discovered growing dry beans this past summer-- and I am smitten. Growing beans has kind of allowed me to explore the world with horticulture, and my garden is becoming the UN of beans! This year I found beans to be a very low maintenance crop-- and in spite of what was likely the worst cold, wet, spring weather ever they did surprisingly well. It will be interesting to see what next summer yields, and I am looking forward to hearing about and learning from the experiences of other growers.

welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :) beans... this is a good place to talk beans.

while you are just starting out write down as much as you can remember about which beans you are growing and where you got them from and what you've grown each year. if you can. it's a big help later on when strange things start happening and you can't quite remember what you did which season and where and the whyfors and whutnots because eventually they become whatknots in your noodle. :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Branching Out! You will love this forum! Great people and information!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here is your gateway~

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome from Central Illinois. Be sure to put your location with your avatar or in your signature bc I will forget where you live when you start posting.
VERY friendly here. Braggerts and "negative Nancy's" don't stick around here.
If you like beans...sigh..there is a big bean community.
Actually, I have caught the bean bug, too.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I am experienced with gardening but completely unversed in online forums, so that part of it could be a character building learning curve for me going forward. I am fairly certain that I figured out how to upload an avatar (last spring's obsession was ranunculus), but have no idea how to add text with it, in order to indicate my location. I may have added my location to my signature... not quite sure about that though.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :) beans... this is a good place to talk beans.

while you are just starting out write down as much as you can remember about which beans you are growing and where you got them from and what you've grown each year. if you can. it's a big help later on when strange things start happening and you can't quite remember what you did which season and where and the whyfors and whutnots because eventually they become whatknots in your noodle. :)
This sounds like a very good idea. Yesterday I realized that two of my dry beans look identical in the evening, under low light conditions. The ones that became part of the mix up ended up being supper. LOL. I keep a garden journal that has been infinitely helpful, but perhaps dedicating a separate file to the beans would be prudent. In some ways it will be like creating a family tree, with lines of lineage. My dad always says that once you complete a project you usually have a pretty good idea of how you should have done it in the first place. Tips like this really get the process off to a roaring start. Thanks so much!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello there @Branching Out! :frow

So glad to have you here! It's a great year to join us on LEBN because we're breaking records over there! We're up to over 200 pages of beany stuff!
Thank you so much for encouraging me to join! Already I am noting like-minded approaches to growing, which is wonderful. Some of my neighbours around here may think I am crazy, but having found all of you it appears that I am not only normal in the things that I do-- but rather quite ordinary. LOL. Winter will be perfect for reading through the pages, and gleaning chestnuts of wisdom from everyone's experiences. I am really looking forward to that.

Latest posts