Hello from the Netherlands!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you! It's Rebel Starfighter Prime, very unusual pattern. Nice tasting too. These ones were grown in my greenhouse so the blue is a little more muted but I have some growing outside (not ripe yet) which are even prettier.
Interesting. I have never grown tomatoes in a greenhouse before-- is there a reason for why the colours of greenhouse grown fruit are less vibrant than those grown outdoors?

phaseolista

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Interesting. I have never grown tomatoes in a greenhouse before-- is there a reason for why the colours of greenhouse grown fruit are less vibrant than those grown outdoors?
Here in the Netherlands we can be very unlucky and have really wet & cold summers where no tomato produces anything outside before it succumbs to blight, so having an unheated greenhouse is almost essential if you want to grow nice tomato varieties.

The lower color intensity only happens in tomatoes with blue/black in them! I think it has to do with less direct sunlight hitting the tomato. Red/yellow/green are the same inside or outside the greenhouse. I will see if I can take some photos tomorrow of a tomato I have growing both in the greenhouse and outside, outside it is almost completely black and inside only half black! Really interesting.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome fellow beanaholic. Sorry I am so late to the welcome, but now that the garden here (South Germany) is under two feet of snow, I am catching up with gardening groups and chatting. Nice to have you here.
We also heard it was really a heavy snow, about 50cm or so, and the airport and railway both shut down. Keep yourself warm!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome fellow beanaholic. Sorry I am so late to the welcome, but now that the garden here (South Germany) is under two feet of snow, I am catching up with gardening groups and chatting. Nice to have you here.

late summer and fall are such crazy times here that i may not have as much energy for chatting. so it is nice to revisit some threads and poke them into more action now that the season has calmed down. :) i'm glad you did.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Central Illinois, USA. Please be sure to put your location with your avatar or in your signature bc I will forget where you live when you start posting.
Interesting, we live at 40 degrees latitude north. Rome is 40 degrees latitude north. You have weather from the west, so you are often warmer than we are, since we are landlocked.
Do you have any days without a sunset? Just curious.
You will love the bean community here.

P Suckling

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We also heard it was really a heavy snow, about 50cm or so, and the airport and railway both shut down. Keep yourself warm!
Thanks Phaedra, yes thank you, beautiful wood stove is kicking out a lot of heat. Not a lot is getting done, apart from Christmas preparations and playing with (sorting) seeds. One greenhouse pane has been lost and I can't get there yet to see whether it is in hundreds of little glass shards or whether it can just be popped back in and a few bushes have been partially broken with the snow load. Still not much of a melt and temperatures still in the minuses. So far the snow is set to stay, but all the roads are clear.

Enjoy the Advent time yourself.

Latest posts