Helping a Neighbor with a Poplar Problem

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbor bought 30 poplars :) however, we live in zone 4b and he didn't realize he needed to direct them when they should deliver, so they apparently delivered them yesterday. He was incredibly frantic and thought he was up **** creek. I told him to come on over :). Lucky for him he lives next to someone with a gravel bed.

OI000002.JPG

My neighbor bought his property and built their house two years before we moved in. It's not a lot (10 acres) but about 4 or 6 of it was being used as farm land (leased out to a farmer) and my neighbor just continued with that since he didn't know what else to do with it. He wants to eventually build a pole barn, etc...

We've talk a lot since I've moved in and then last week I was walking part of the property line with him because I wanted to let him know what trees I was cutting down and planning to replace with x species. I wanted to be sure that he wouldn't be upset if I accidentally cut one or two down on his land, since the line is hard to distinguish at one section. Anyways, I guess I got him thinking since he asked me for some tree resources and then suddenly I was getting those frantic texts.

I'm looking forward to what our neighboring properties will look like and what wildlife will be flourishing there in years to come.

P.S. The farmer was not too happy about getting a call from him last week saying he won't be allowing him to continue farming there this year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Legally, he can’t stop the farmer from farming this year. Notice has to be given before January. For just a few acres, doubt farmer will fight. Think of it as your boss, comin on Friday and says your job has been discontinued and there is no other job here for you. But you have already bought tools and other necessary things to do your job.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Legally, he can’t stop the farmer from farming this year. Notice has to be given before January. For just a few acres, doubt farmer will fight. Think of it as your boss, comin on Friday and says your job has been discontinued and there is no other job here for you. But you have already bought tools and other necessary things to do your job.
*shrug* might be different in MN vs elsewhere. I know when he used to farm part of my land he never contacted me and the only contact I ever got was from the Dept of Ag asking me to sign some agreement form in the spring saying "you agree to x farmer farming y land. Please sign and return" and I sure as **** never agreed to that. So you might be right

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be but doubt it. Most farmers go by hand shake agreement so unless they are informed, they assume nothing has changed. Now IF the farmer never paid any rent (or compensated land owner in any way), farmer should have been visiting with your neighbor. IF the farmer has been mowing some acres for free, plowing out his lane, pulling his family out of ditches during storms, that probably will stop....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the poplars around here are weeds and they can grow very rapidly. i had to take one down that sprung up too close to the house and a pine tree we didn't want crowded out. it made it to about 40ft in 7 years. i hated to have to pay someone to take it down, but i had climbed up and removed as many branches as i could get to before calling it too much for me to do. wish i'd been able to talk Mom into getting that pine tree removed too. i don't like it being too close to the house...

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the poplars around here are weeds and they can grow very rapidly. i had to take one down that sprung up too close to the house and a pine tree we didn't want crowded out. it made it to about 40ft in 7 years. i hated to have to pay someone to take it down, but i had climbed up and removed as many branches as i could get to before calling it too much for me to do. wish i'd been able to talk Mom into getting that pine tree removed too. i don't like it being too close to the house...
They're popular in the paper industry for a reason

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My neighbor bought 30 poplars :) however, we live in zone 4b and he didn't realize he needed to direct them when they should deliver, so they apparently delivered them yesterday. He was incredibly frantic and thought he was up **** creek. I told him to come on over :). Lucky for him he lives next to someone with a gravel bed.

View attachment 34771

My neighbor bought his property and built their house two years before we moved in. It's not a lot (10 acres) but about 4 or 6 of it was being used as farm land (leased out to a farmer) and my neighbor just continued with that since he didn't know what else to do with it. He wants to eventually build a pole barn, etc...

We've talk a lot since I've moved in and then last week I was walking part of the property line with him because I wanted to let him know what trees I was cutting down and planning to replace with x species. I wanted to be sure that he wouldn't be upset if I accidentally cut one or two down on his land, since the line is hard to distinguish at one section. Anyways, I guess I got him thinking since he asked me for some tree resources and then suddenly I was getting those frantic texts.

I'm looking forward to what our neighboring properties will look like and what wildlife will be flourishing there in years to come.

P.S. The farmer was not too happy about getting a call from him last week saying he won't be allowing him to continue farming there this year.
That sad. Such nice poplar and no one wants to use it. I hope this will be settled. good luck!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sad. Such nice poplar and no one wants to use it. I hope this will be settled. good luck!
Well the problem was that he had 30 poplars that showed up when the ground was still frozen. It's just dumb luck that he lives next to someone that owns a gravel bed :). We have since got them in the ground